From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of jimcoble2000 via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2020 8:09 AM
To: BBAA Groups Io <backbayastro@groups.io>; vpas@groups.io
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Comet viewing.

Went over to Kent's place around 2030. The sky was hard to read as usual with some clear patches and some cloudy areas. Lately the sky has been terrible as has the weather forecast. Extreme heat and haze have dominated the weather with no rain to clean up the sky.

The north was somewhat hazy with thin clouds moving very slowly eastward. Not the worst we have seen. No air movement meant no oxygen to breathe. Bugs were off and on. 200% humidity.

Finding the comet was easy tonight as it is now higher in the NW. The tail was visible in the haze with averted vision and extended a fair ways out. Broad. If it had been clear it would have been easy. 1st quarter moon did not help things and it was low in the haze to the west. Pretty good though. Kent had time to get out his 4 inch telescope so we got a closer look the the head. I went and got my Comet filter, which highlights Cyanogen CN gas. Comets produce CN naturally but most of the time the filter does not work. Comets are of two types; dusty and gaseous. The dusty ones show no improvement with the filter. The Gassy ones can. Boy did the filter work on this one. It just lit it up! Unusual for it to be so effective. I have used the filter to broaden the head or bring out the tail on comets that allow it. It did not help the tail much on this one but boy did it extend and brighten the head. I also used the filter in front of one eyepiece of the binoculars to very good effect making the head much brighter. It did not improve the tail though.

Pretty good night for the city. I would love to see this one in a dark sky. My best views have been in the morning a couple of weeks ago.

jimcoble2000

I admire your dedication going to NEVADA for a week end. That sounds about right for the tail. We were able to see it from Kent's back yard last night and the filter does help a whole lot. I could see it barely naked eye using the one power finder as a guide (without it I would never find it). Oddly the comet filter also works quite well on M-27. Go figure...............................

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 11:37:39 AM EDT, Jeff Goldstein <jeffgold1@...> wrote:

I took a weekend trip to Black Rock, Nevada.  The comet was a bummer for my observing in the high Nevada desert on Friday evening.  You saw it much better than I did.  Absolutely no naked eye comet observation from there as I had hoped for a Bortle 2 sky.

There was smoke from the current California fires that made the transparency very difficult in all directions.  The sky ended up as Bortle 4 as predicted from my cell phone app that night.  But I did see the comet and noticed the tail was about half the field of my 7.1 degree 7x50 binoculars. A telescope and filter as you described, Mark would have been great!

Jeff Goldstein