Comet tonight

jimcoble2000

Pretty hazy conditions tonight but with some potential, I went over to Kent's to look for the comet below Ursa. Though there were a few passing clouds we had the impression that there was thin haze low down in the 85 degree temperature. I was seeing stars fairly clearly but it was that time of night when you are really not sure of conditions.

It was better than last night which was a total washout.

Took a bit but I spotted the comet using the 20x80 binoculars about 26 degrees up. As the night wore on a bit, around 2130, I found the comet and was just barely able to discern a tail but not to the extent that the morning view brought a few weeks ago. The comet has dimmed by a magnitude since it's morning appearance but is still decent. Only was able to follow the comet for 1/2 hour before real clouds moved in and spoiled the view. I am not sure if I could detect it naked eye in the haze. Only a maybe. At least I can say I have seen the same comet in the morning and the evening.  I suspect it will start to dim now as we get into the end of July but who knows.

Jeffrey Thornton

I was able to see it from the dock of the ODU sailing center last night at around 9:30. As Jim reported, the sky was very hazy and I could barely make the comet out with my 12x36 binoculars, but I was able to photograph it with my trusty cell phone camera.

jimcoble2000

Ha! I see that one pixel............................almost

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 8:13:54 AM EDT, Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:

I was able to see it from the dock of the ODU sailing center last night at around 9:30. As Jim reported, the sky was very hazy and I could barely make the comet out with my 12x36 binoculars, but I was able to photograph it with my trusty cell phone camera.

Roy Diffrient

Way better than I’ve done...

Roy

On Jul 21, 2020, at 8:29 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Ha! I see that one pixel............................almost

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 8:13:54 AM EDT, Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:

I was able to see it from the dock of the ODU sailing center last night at around 9:30. As Jim reported, the sky was very hazy and I could barely make the comet out with my 12x36 binoculars, but I was able to photograph it with my trusty cell phone camera.

Jeffrey Thornton

Thanks Roy,

Just have to hope the weather opens up and we can get a clear night before this comet leaves the neighborhood. It will be a long time before it returns again...:)

Ian Stewart

Clear skies tonight and a beautiful view of the comet. Also some great binocular views scanning the milky way from Sag up to Cygnus.
Cheers
Ian

RapidEye

Same here - was a bit murky and some lightening up to the north, but southern Milky Way and the Comet were outstanding in binoculars.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:09 PM Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:
Clear skies tonight and a beautiful view of the comet. Also some great binocular views scanning the milky way from Sag up to Cygnus.
Cheers
Ian

jimcoble2000

zero oxygen, clouds, heat, here. zero comet too

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 9:34:52 AM EDT, RapidEye <rapideye.us@...> wrote:

Same here - was a bit murky and some lightening up to the north, but southern Milky Way and the Comet were outstanding in binoculars.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:09 PM Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:
Clear skies tonight and a beautiful view of the comet. Also some great binocular views scanning the milky way from Sag up to Cygnus.
Cheers
Ian

Roy Diffrient

That lightning was what we had to observe last night – no comet, clouds, rain, thunder.

I’m reading that tomorrow the comet will be at its closest to earth, then fade more rapidly.

Good shot on the APOD today – the dust tail has streaks or waves.

Roy

On Jul 22, 2020, at 9:34 AM, RapidEye <RapidEye.US@...> wrote:

Same here - was a bit murky and some lightening up to the north, but southern Milky Way and the Comet were outstanding in binoculars.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:09 PM Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:
Clear skies tonight and a beautiful view of the comet. Also some great binocular views scanning the milky way from Sag up to Cygnus.
Cheers
Ian

jimcoble2000

Of course I don't know what the comet will do but as it is low down and never gets very high I suspect we will see it fade but what a fine show we have had!