From: jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...>
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>; VPAS <vpas@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Dec 1, 2021 9:58 am
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Comet Leonard this morning

After a somewhat lengthy story that I won't go into here, I was able to see Comet Leonard from a fairly bright urban location this morning. The comet is currently in the east above Arcturus. This is good news in that it is well placed from my balcony with it's easy set up. The bad news is that we have a poor sky, but the good news is it is fairly bright so easily seen from an urban location. Did I whiplash you with good and bad?

The comet is billed as 6th magnitude and I agree with that assessment. The core is quite round and bright but not naked eye except from a very dark location possibly. I was able to view it with my 4 inch telescope at  23x and 56x. It does not lie near any significant guide stars so it may be a bit of challenge to fond it from bright skies. Just go up from Arcturus toward Ursa Major. Use  wide field lens to locate it and then zoom in. I could barely detect a longish tail but just barely. In a dark sky this would be much easier to confirm. As usual, a comet filter hurts this object so save that filter for Jupiter (which it helps immensely unlike this comet). I was able to access the comet from 4 in the morning until daylight.

So this is one you can do from the burbs. You just have to find it. If you are on my balcony I can offer you a morning Martini if you are a hard manEmoji

Theoretically at least...................

Kent Blackwell

I'm afraid Leonard Nimoy would be disappointed the comet wasn't named after him. A fairly young Arizona researcher has discovered at least a dozen comets, this being the brightest so far.

Kent

jimcoble2000

Could it be named after Leonard Maltin?