Comet Leonard in the early morning at BBAA Colorado

charles jagow

Woke up at 0250, had to shut down all of the Christmas decorations that What’s Her Name has had me setup.  Including the 22’ blue spruce in the front yard and the seven lighted inflatables.  If you have ever seen the Griswold’s lighting in the National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation movie, you might get an idea of our blue spruce tree.  It is lit up with white lights than can be seen, literally, from the next town.   Once the Jagow induced light pollution was extinguished I found the comet just creeping above Eastern horizon, a blob just like comet Holmes and Arcturus was cycling several indistinguishable colors, with low thin clouds moving over them.

0330, more thicker clouds – could still see Arcturus, but not the comet Leonard.

0420, clouds gave up and went away, Arcturus was beautiful in the 12” dob, found the comet easily, not nekid eyebone material, but easily found.  And looked much like comet Holmes, but not as distinguishable core as Holmes.

0440 I could see the core with the 12mm Nagler, nearly filled the FOV.  Best view was in my 30mm cheapo star party special eyepiece at about 50X.  It was twelve degrees when I started at almost 0300, now it was at 8.7 degrees when I rolled the dob back into the garage, the slight breeze made it worse.  I should have put on something more than my jammies, BBAA sweatshirt, furry slippers and my Bronco stocking hat.

Orion was magnificent,  by the middle of January it will be setting against the Sangre De Cristo mountains and ripe for a photo op.

The SQM reading at 0445 on my driveway in town, with the Jagow Xmas lights off, 21.37.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Kent Blackwell <kent@...>
Date: Friday, December 3, 2021 at 6:10 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Comet Leonard in the early morning

Robert HItt, Mark Ost and I observed Comet Leonard this morning at 4:15 am. Unfortunately, the sky wa fairly thick from high clouds but it still looked quite good in my 16” f/6.2 Dobsonian. I didn’t set up my 5” Takahashi, but Mark had his 5” Explore Scientific aimed at the comet.

16" f/6.2 Dobsonian

The comet was quite faint at first, due to high clouds. Once there was a partial clearing it was large and quite bright using the 24mm Meade eyepiece at 105x.

The comet looked even better with my reference 16mn Nagler at 160x. I suspected a faint tail, but don't quote me on that!

As a reference, M 3 was barely visible through the high clouds.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Kent Blackwell

I'm glad so many have gotten to see Comet Leonard. Get ready to see it next in the western sky after sunset, but not much afterwards. It will be near Venus on December 16-19.

You all probably know how I like cold weather, BUT, dear Chuck, I think 8.7-degrees is just too cold for skinny little me to be out in my pajamas (or anything else) stargazing.

Kent

jimcoble2000

It has been fun. Accessible comets come around only occasionally is it is always fun to chase them even at the cost of some sleep. I haven't looked at the mid December charts yet. I was looking at the planets last night with the moon under the plane of the ecliptic. I remarked how easy it was to see 1/2 of the solar system this year. The person next to me pointed out we were looking at most of the total mass of the solar system so what is the inference?

The solar system is packed by weight not volume. Some settling may occur.

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 12:54:23 PM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

I'm glad so many have gotten to see Comet Leonard. Get ready to see it next in the western sky after sunset, but not much afterwards. It will be near Venus on December 16-19.

You all probably know how I like cold weather, BUT, dear Chuck, I think 8.7-degrees is just too cold for skinny little me to be out in my pajamas (or anything else) stargazing.

Kent

charles jagow

Even What’s Her Name is becoming climatized, in Virginia if the temp was below 60 degrees - out came the winter parka and gloves for her.  Now she routinely does her morning outside chores, feeding the birds and trying to plant cracked corn along the fence (those darn deer eat all that she tries to plant) in just a sweatshirt and her slippers while the temperature hovers at or below 32 degrees.

We are having a very mild year so far, only two snowfalls so far.  One of about 3/4” and the second about 7 1/2”.  Usually, we would have snow on the ground that would not melt until springtime.  Daytime temps have been in the low 50s in contrast to the highs which should be in the 30s.  Either we indeed are in for a mild winter, or this is just the calm before the proverbial storm, and we will get dumped on in Feb-Mar.

We just bought some snowmobiles (used) and if this purchase is like telescopes, no snow for weeks…And since I had to sell my beloved 86’ Harley before we left, I am replacing it with a Yamaha TW200 trail bike.  At this rate summer will never come!!!

I just bought a Nexus Pro to put on the Obsession 20, I replaced the Argo Navis on the UC18 with a Nexus and really liked it.  I just have to remember what settings to migrate from the Argo to the Nexus other than encoder steps.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Kent Blackwell <kent@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 at 10:54 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] Comet Leonard in the early morning at BBAA Colorado

I'm glad so many have gotten to see Comet Leonard. Get ready to see it next in the western sky after sunset, but not much afterwards. It will be near Venus on December 16-19.

You all probably know how I like cold weather, BUT, dear Chuck, I think 8.7-degrees is just too cold for skinny little me to be out in my pajamas (or anything else) stargazing.

Kent

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Kent Blackwell

Edited

The Argo has gotten a bit old in the tooth. You are going to love the Nexus. It blows away the Ago.  I have the simple version, the Nexus II.  It’s merely a black box that connects to my iPhone.  Simple, simple, simple. Perfect for me, simple. Lol.

 If you don’t want any of that snow, please send it this way. We got robbed last year with no snow.

Ian Stewart

Hey Chuck, sounds like you're settling in well. You'll love the Nexus I have one that I move between the 5inch and the 14.5" dob. Use it with my phone or ipad. Works like a charm.

Cheers

Ian

On 12/8/2021 2:30 PM, charles jagow wrote:

[...]

George Reynolds

I haven't even tried to see the comet (except 2 nights I went out about 0430 with binoculars) because I can't see clearly yet, since my cataract surgery.  I can see close up to read, but will need specs for distance (a.k.a. stargazing) vision.  I can't get a new prescription for glasses until Dec 23, 3 weeks after my second eye's surgery.

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 12:54:23 PM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

I'm glad so many have gotten to see Comet Leonard. Get ready to see it next in the western sky after sunset, but not much afterwards. It will be near Venus on December 16-19.

You all probably know how I like cold weather, BUT, dear Chuck, I think 8.7-degrees is just too cold for skinny little me to be out in my pajamas (or anything else) stargazing.

Kent

Ted Forte

Heavens-Above is now listing its magnitude as 2.6 which is nearly 6 times brighter than its predicted max magnitude.  Should be doable here tomorrow.

Ted

BBAA Southwest