Comet filtet

charles jagow

Hey, that lumicon comet filter you guys were using Jup & Sat does it provide a green view?

Sent from Chuck's

--
*v/r*

*v/r*

*Chuck Jagow*

*Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley ( https://www.darkskiescolorado.org/ )*

*Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers ( http://www.backbayastro.org/ )*

*Member – San Diego Astronomy Association ( https://sdaa.org/ )*

*Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association ( https://csastro.org/ )*

*Future* *Verde Mont Observatory ( http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/sangre.shtml )*

*Gone...* *Rott'n Paws Observatory ( http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap_obs_1.shtml )*

Kent Blackwell

 Probably, but typical of a Wratten 58A color filter, but with even better detail in Jupiter’s belts.  Note the fine detail between the NEB and the SEB.

galacticprobe

Do any of these filters match (or come close) to the lumicon comet filter that's being talked about?

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=lumicon+comet+filter&crid=1F5NGXPCVDV5B&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11

(If the link breaks from sending this, copy and paste everything into the browser address bar.)

Aside from the first one in the list, most of the "lumicon" filters are on pages 2 and 3. I've never bought a filter before, so any advice from the more knowledgeable - which is just about everyone but me - will be very much appreciated. (Yeah, I know it's Amazon, but the Google search had so many returns it made my head spin... and since I do well enough of that on my own I don't need any help in that department!)

"Keep looking up!"
Dino.

Hey, that lumicon comet filter you guys were using Jup & Sat does it provide a green view?

Sent from Chuck's

--
*v/r*

*v/r*

*Chuck Jagow*

*Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley ( https://www.darkskiescolorado.org/ )*

*Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers ( http://www.backbayastro.org/ )*

*Member – San Diego Astronomy Association ( https://sdaa.org/ )*

*Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association ( https://csastro.org/ )*

*Future* *Verde Mont Observatory ( http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/sangre.shtml )*

*Gone...* *Rott'n Paws Observatory ( http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap_obs_1.shtml )*

Kent Blackwell

I couldn't open the link you referenced. I have found the Lumicon comet filter is practically useless for most comets so I wouldn't consider it a necessity. I happened to stumble on its use for revealing detail with the cloud belts of Jupiter. What is did was hold all my various color filters between my eye and the eyepiece just to be able to quickly "A-B" the different filters. I was shocked to find the comet filter was even better than my previous reference filter for Jupiter, a Wratten 58A. Be aware both filters turn Jupiter "green" but that's what make the reddish belts stand out so beautifully. I hope this helps a bit.

Kent B