Ceres tonight

jimcoble2000

Not quite as orange as the other night. A bit more yellow white, it has changed position a fair amount tonight. It continues it's path through Taurus.

Kent Blackwell

Here is an interesting log I made on Feb 8, 2009 using a 10" f/4.7 Dobsonian.

Kent

Edmund RKE 15mm X2.5, 199x

With the Edmund 15mm RKE and the Tele Vue 2.5x Barlow I could definately see a disc of this minor planet Ceres. I have only seen Ceres once, and that was last night under very unfavorable seeing conditions. Tonight, it was quite easy to see it.

Pentax XW 10mm, 119x
I couldn't see a disc at this power; mainly due to my astigmatism at this relatively low power.

Pentax XW 7mm, 171x
I could just barely detect a disc at this power. It's just not quite enough power.

Gailand 7mm, 171x
The disc was certainly more evident with the 7mm Gailand than the 7mm Pentax. It's simply sharper.

Pentax XW 5mm, 239x
A definite disc was seen at this power, although I think it was better seen with the 15mm RKE and the 2.5X Tele Vue Barlow.

12mm RKE X2.5, 249x
This showed the disc of Ceres better than any other combination I tried tonight. I definitely could distinguish a disc shape.

jimcoble2000

I didn't come close to a disc but then I was only using  moderate powers in the 4 . I could try jacking the 4 up as high as it can go but suspect the 5 would do a better job of things. I can get as high as 620 with the 5

On Friday, November 26, 2021, 10:18:17 AM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Stewart

Edited

Looked at Ceres again last night. Maybe a little less color in it. No disc at 130x but definitely moving along. Watched some of the Io transit on Jupiter but it was getting a little low on the horizon for a good view. One standout was the red giants in the double cluster. For some reason they seemed to pop last night. Looked especially good through a 32mm Teleview have.
Cheers
Ian

jimcoble2000

I am not sure how much power you need to see a disc. They don't call them asteroids for nothing! Those red stars stand out in any sky. Even in badly affected skies the double cluster still is spectacular, maybe a bit more so as the dim background stars are canceled out. I have a feeling this color thing on Ceres is a bit complicated with a lot of variables. It is interesting we both saw the same thing but I am not ready to go far beyond that.

On Saturday, November 27, 2021, 01:52:49 PM EST, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Looked at Ceres again last night. Maybe a little less color in it. No disc at 130x but definitely moving along. Watched some of the Io transit on Jupiter but it was getting a little low on the horizon for a good view. One standout was the red giants in the double cluster. For some reason they seemed to pop last night. Looked especially good through a 32mm TMB I have.
Cheers
Ian