CANCELLED - York River State Park: open observing session, Saturday 22 October

Troy Riedel

A high étage overcast cloud deck has invaded the area literally within the last 30-40 minutes and there's no improvement in the forecast.

We'll ask Brad & Charlie if we can re-schedule to next Saturday Night. If we can, we will post it here NLT Wednesday of next week.

galacticprobe

"Étage"? Seriously? I know I'm not the brightest candle in the window, but, do you know how long it took me to look this up? Why not just say "stage", which is what this translates to?

(I fracking hate French!)
"Potau glazhautan abru!"
Dino.

-----Original Message-----
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Oct 22, 2022 3:04 pm
Subject: [BackBayAstro] CANCELLED - York River State Park: open observing session, Saturday 22 October

A high étage overcast cloud deck has invaded the area literally within the last 30-40 minutes and there's no improvement in the forecast.

We'll ask Brad & Charlie if we can re-schedule to next Saturday Night. If we can, we will post it here NLT Wednesday of next week.

preciousmyprecious

Great word, huh, Dino? That's all my edumacation this month. In fact this year. Thanks Troy.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 12:33:33 PM EDT, galacticprobe via groups.io <lambulambu@...> wrote:

"Étage"? Seriously? I know I'm not the brightest candle in the window, but, do you know how long it took me to look this up? Why not just say "stage", which is what this translates to?

(I fracking hate French!)
"Potau glazhautan abru!"
Dino.

To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Oct 22, 2022 3:04 pm
Subject: [BackBayAstro] CANCELLED - York River State Park: open observing session, Saturday 22 October

Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

Yeah, sometimes English is better understood rather that showing ones command of multiple language variations of a word.

KISS... not French BTW.. Keep It Simple... The rest is known. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

Troy Riedel

I'm a trained synoptic meteorologist (synoptic - LOOK that one up, LOL). Okay - synoptic means co-incident in time meaning I was trained to analyze current atmospheric data to provide a short term forecast (military flight ops/aviation weather, surface weather, etc.).

And technically in meteorology - Étage is interpreted as "level" aka High, Mid & Low levels of clouds ;-)

Give a guy a break! Ha ...

preciousmyprecious

Woah. Way over my pay grade, but I got the idea.

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 9:33 AM, Troy Riedel
<troy.riedel@...> wrote:
I'm a trained synoptic meteorologist (synoptic - LOOK that one up, LOL). Okay - synoptic means co-incident in time meaning I was trained to analyze current atmospheric data to provide a short term forecast (military flight ops/aviation weather, surface weather, etc.).

And technically in meteorology - Étage is interpreted as "level" aka High, Mid & Low levels of clouds ;-)

Troy Riedel

Jim,

Unfortunately I do not know French nor have a command of any language, incl. English ... but when I go lost running in Madagascar (seriously - one thatched hut looks like another), I would stop and say "plage" (French for beach - the only French word I knew) and point different directions hoping to get pointed back to the water because that's where our mobile training team was staying.

I figured Étage and c'est la vie wouldn't help me find my way back!

galacticprobe

Maybe, Bill (over the pay grade, I mean), but Troy's explanation definitely helps. (Like I said, I'm not the brightest candle in the window.)

My field was electronics. In the Coast Guard, since we're so small of a service, we don't specialize; if you're an "ET" (Electronics Tech), then you work on everything from depth sounders to satcom systems, and now even fire control radar systems. (The one thing I didn't deal with was crypto because I didn't want the hassle of that Top Secret clearance needed for that.)

As for weather... I've got that lower back injury, and a strange left hip (strange in that the Naval Hospital can find nothing wrong with it) that let me know if a front is passing within 50 miles of us. It may not tromp over us, but if it's out there, my "biologic" tools let me know it, and they've never been wrong yet. (Depending on how strong a hurricane is, they can feel it as far away as Florida.)

(Don't feel too bad about my comments, Troy. My wife and daughter do the same thing, and I'm always telling them to use words I can understand... it's hell being married to a teacher, and having a daughter whose teaching specialty is English, both living in the house!)

"Keep looking up!"
Dino.

From: preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...>
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io; Troy Riedel <troy.riedel@...>
Sent: Mon, Oct 24, 2022 9:38 am
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] CANCELLED - York River State Park: open observing session, Saturday 22 October

Woah. Way over my pay grade, but I got the idea.

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 9:33 AM, Troy Riedel
<troy.riedel@...> wrote:

Troy Riedel

Hey Dino,

No offense taken to your comment, bud. Worst case: I gueI did take offense to one member who emailed me directly (at least one member privately 'chastised' me - chastised for what, I'm still shaking my head) & one comment posted here "Yeah, sometimes English is better understood rather that showing ones command of multiple language variations of a word.

KISS... not French BTW.. Keep It Simple... The rest is known."

I never thought using a real science term (regardless of where it was derived from) would offend some (well, it offended at least two) - on an astronomy (science) message board. I thought it made sense but maybe not? As a Coastie/sailor, you secure a building by locking it (unlike a Marine who secures a building via forced-entry, tossing a concussion grenade, and clearing it of bad guys!). I still ask my family "is the house secured"? Hey, language is usually self-conscious unless you are intentionally trying to be careful and/or not politically offend. I simply didn't think a weather term (BTW, it's not like there was a double entendre) would tick off two (or more) - lesson learned - but to be called a pompous you-know what (either directly & privately via direct email or inferred via this board) was too far much, no?

And for the record my French consists of c'est la vie, plage (beach - b/c I got lost in a French-speaking country and had to find my way back to "the open" - a word I didn't know), and I guess etage (though it's different to a forecaster than a lay person). Oh, I do know another but in god taste I won't share the 6th word.

In summary: I vow not to use French (I was not ... showing ones command of multiple language - but I will KISS ... not FRENCH BTW) and I will not use non-Astronomy science terms. And I will especially stay away from weather terms (like Barotropic, Baroclinic, Vorticty  not that I would ever go that far ;-)

And P.S. - I'm not a pompous you-know-what ... I sometimes speak "military" and unfortunately "synoptic weather" because I did for well over half of my life :-)