August BBAA Skywatch

Kent Blackwell

I hadn’t planned attend the Skywatch since clouds were predicted after sunset. Sure enough, that’s what happened. But I’ve learned never to rely on forecasts. As I approached the site I noticed the streets were very wet. Well, perhaps after the shower the skies would clear. Eventually, the skies did indeed partially clear. Clear enough for us to see some wonderful objects. I was set up next to Shawn L and Gabriel, one of the youngest members of our club whose enthusiasm for the hobby is encouraging.

Most striking were views of Saturn’s rings, as well as the Great Red Spot (I call it the Great Pale Spot) on Jupiter. Increasing the magnification to 180x allowed glimpses of the Crepe Ring of Saturn, as well as 5 of its many moons through my ever trusty 10” f/4.7 Orion IntelliScope. I also looked at The Blue Snowball, M 13 and M 15 at  250x. Equally impressive were views of M 8, M 20 and M 17.

Overall, it was a wonderful night. Maybe not the best skies, but good company, a dozen or so telescopes and NO MOSQUITOES. Here are some of the objects observed:

List: 21/08/28 BBAA NW River Park

Messier 2

(Globular Cluster in Aquarius)

Lagoon Nebula - M 8

(Bright Nebula in Sagittarius)

Wild Duck Cluster - M 11

(Open Cluster in Scutum)

Hercules Cluster - M 13

(Globular Cluster in Hercules)

Messier 15

(Globular Cluster in Pegasus)

Omega Nebula - M 17

(Bright Nebula in Sagittarius)

Trifid Nebula - M 20

(Bright Nebula in Sagittarius)

Messier 22

(Globular Cluster in Sagittarius)

Andromeda Galaxy - M 31

(Spiral Galaxy in Andromeda)

Messier 32

(Elliptical Galaxy in Andromeda)

Messier 92

(Globular Cluster in Hercules)

Messier 110

(Elliptical Galaxy in Andromeda)

NGC 6781

(Planetary Nebula in Aquila)

Blinking Planetary Nebula - NGC 6826

(Planetary Nebula in Cygnus)

Blue Flash Nebula - NGC 6905

(Planetary Nebula in Delphinus)

Blue Snowball Nebula - NGC 7662

(Planetary Nebula in Andromeda)

Jupiter

(Planet in Capricornus)

Saturn

(Planet in Capricornus)

TIANGONG 1

(Satellite in Vela)

Albireo - Beta1 Cyg

(Variable Double Star in Cygnus)

Double Double - Epsilon1 Lyr

(Double Star in Lyra)

jimcoble2000

Glad you boys had a good night. How was the dew? Wonderful moon rise last night. Sometimes it is just nice to look at the moon  with no observations in mind. Had late night M&M; moon and martini.

On Sunday, August 29, 2021, 10:11:13 AM EDT, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

[...]

List: 21/08/28 BBAA NW River Park

[...]

George Reynolds

Kent,  I'm glad you came out to Skywatch too.  It was fun talking to you and looking through your telescope.  You were also an encouragement to the newbies and visitors who were there.

BTW, you forgot to list that you observed NGC205.  EmojiEmojiEmoji

[...]

List: 21/08/28 BBAA NW River Park