Astronomy event FRIDAY, 23 April -- Any volunteers?

George Reynolds

Friday night from 8 to 10 pm I will be instructing a group of American Heritage Girls and Trail Life Boys and their leaders, showing them the Moon and some constellations (whatever is visible with a bright Moon).  These groups are alternatives to the GirlScouts and Boy Scouts.  They are working on their Astronomy merit badges.

I have plenty of handouts for them, and expect to see about two dozen girls and boys there.  I'll have my telescope, and my granddaughter Chloe will have hers, but we could use at least one more member with a telescope.  If you can come, try to be there to set up by 7:30 pm.  It is about a 50-minute drive from Virginia Beach (Bayside area).

Details of the event and driving instructions can be found on the BBAA calendar in Night Sky Network at this link:

The weather forecast says it will be clear and cold, so dress appropriately.

I hope we can have at least one more RSVP for this event.  It should be fun.

Chloe and I arrived at the campground (Mattanock Town, in Suffolk) at 7:00 pm and set up telescopes: my ShortTube 80 refractor and Starblast 6i.  After meeting the two leaders of the American Heritage Girls and Trail Life Boys, and coordinating the schedule, we opted to start the presentation at 8:15 during twilight, and then let the kids observe in groups, girls first, then boys, after 9:00.  The sky was totally overcast when we got there, and we prayed for clearing.  The forecast said it would be clear at 9 pm, and for once it was correct.  My granddaughter Chloe and I got to show them the waxing gibbous Moon, the Orion Nebula, and some double stars and star clusters.  I pointed out the constellations and brightest stars with my green laser pointer.  The bright Moon washed out much of the sky, but we had a worthwhile observing session,  I was able to point out the North Star and show the kids how to find it using the pointer stars in the cup of the Big Dipper.

We covered as much of the kids' astronomy merit badge requirements as we could.  I gave each participant a folder with star charts, Moon maps, and basic astronomy information, including references to the stars and constellations in the Bible.  The children and their leaders had a good time, and they thanked Chloe and me for sharing our knowledge and our love of the night sky with them.  We packed up about 10:30 and hit the road for home.