Annual BBAA Anniversary Luncheon Dec 11

George Reynolds

BBAA Members, make sure you put Saturday, December 11 on your calendar.  The annual BBAA Anniversary Luncheon will be held from 12 noon to about 3 pm at Stripers Waterside Restaurant, in their lovely dining room with a picture-perfect view of the harbor.

We will be celebrating 43 years of the Back Bay Amateur Astronomers club with good friends and good food.  You will be able to order off the menu.

Night Sky Network outreach pins will be awarded to sixteen of the most deserving members of the club, who have participated in outreach events this past year.  You won't want to miss it!  (You may be one of the ones getting a pin!)

If you RSVP, we can get an approximation of how many to expect.

A very sad day indeed.  The very first BBAA Anniversary Luncheon I am unable to attend since 2004.  I joined the BBAA the week after the 2003 luncheon.  The club out here is not really an astronomy club, they are a corporation whose mandate is to maintain dark skies.  As a side they operate the town’s observatory and do consequential outreach to the public.  So I miss greatly the monthly Sky Watch, Night Watch, Boardwalk Astromomy and Sun Day on Saturday events where we could commiserate on the cloud cover, rain, what piece of astronomy gear someone bought whose box was filled with clouds.  However, I don’t MISS the mosquitos, I do miss the humidity (words I thought I would never say) for holding the sky conditions such that an occasional high-power view of Saturn was possible.  Last night Saturn was very good, only about 195X, in the 20”, which rolls right over the snow!  Observing sessions are a bit short when the temp drops into the single digits.

The Smokey Jack Observatory here is shut down from the end of September through the end of April it is just to darn cold.  I did manage to “talk” the folks here into implementing some unreserved public outreach both nighttime and Solar.  My “dance card” is quite full for the upcoming summer, I will host the Smokey Jack Observatory with a reserved party of eight every Tuesday evening, I am also doing reserved Solar presentations for up to eight guest every other Sunday morning.  Every other Saturday night I will host open observing at the Smokey Jack Observatory with my twelve inch Orion and another compatriot manning the 14” Celestron SCT for folks to just drop in.  On the other Saturdays we will host a beginners class on using a telescope.  And on my two other Sunday afternoons we will just pick one of the parks and set up our solar scopes for impromptu observing.  While I will be there at least three days a week I will enjoy it, What’s Her Name is holding comment, until I start complaining of being run ragged.  I am not alone though, there are fifteen others who will rotate in and help as needed.  And this is in addition to our duties as board members for the Dark Skies of the Wet Mountain Valley Ltd.

I will miss the Anniversary celebration, I am hoping George’s eye’s are better than new, I hope Kent has some hot dogs, I hope Shawn gets some more Telescopes, and Mark continues his observing reports.  I hope you all have a great holiday time and a wonderful December.

And if you get a chance to drive through Southern Colorado, take a detour off of I25 and come visit us.  We have a third bedroom and you can pet the dogs a while…

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:13 PM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Annual BBAA Anniversary Luncheon Dec 11

[...]

Kent Blackwell

We will miss you at ALL the events in which you participated. One thing I've notice about the skies in our area. We might not have the darkest skies but seeing is often sub-arc second. Merry Christmas to all.

Kent

Ted Forte

Just think what an impact it would make if BBAA exported a few more members to other parts of the country.  I definitely expanded HAC’s outreach schedule and Chuck is doing the same at his club.

I have to second Chuck’s lament in missing the luncheon and so many of the other great events like boardwalk and sky watch. Hope you have a great time.

Just one question though: what’s a mosquito?

Ted

BBAA Southwest