An observing milestone

Ted Forte

Greetings from BBAA west.  Arizona’s sky has been suffering from the smoke.  We had a few nights with good clarity last weekend, but most nights are marred by a haze.   It was yet another night of reduced transparency here last night, but this time the seeing was also rather poor. In my last few observing sessions this month, the poor transparency has been offset by better than average seeing.  Last night, there were few redeeming features and when the wind started to pick up, I had had quite enough and so I quit rather early.

Before I did, however, I achieved a milestone. I finally logged my last Herschel object.

Anyone trying to observe the whole of Herschel’s “non-stellar” discoveries has to make some selections. I had settled on a list of 2,517 objects.   Nominally, the list is 2,500 items long, which is the sum of the objects published in Herschel’s three catalogs.  But, many of the objects published in the catalogs were duplicate observations of the same nebulae, and some have been lost or never really existed.  So that reduces the list somewhat.  For instance, the Astronomical League’s “Herschel 2500” is actually only 2,383 objects long.

After trimming away the published objects that don’t belong, you can then re-expand the list by adding those objects that were very likely discovered but never published, and also add to the list those objects that were credited to other discoverers but probably rightly belong to Sir William. The final tally is usually agreed to be in the range of 2,513 to 2,517 objects.  For the most part, I have accepted Dr. Wolfgang Steinicke as the final word on what does or does not belong.

I’ve been waiting months for my final unseen Herschel object to come around. I logged, IC 1339, a 14.3 magnitude galaxy in Cap, first thing last night – and with it put the Herschel 2500 project to bed! And it only took me 28.5 years!

While that is technically true, I really only assigned myself the goal of completing the Herschel 2500 a couple of years ago, so perhaps I’m not quite the slacker that that 28.5 year span suggests.

Congrat’s Ted!  Sure seems like you’ve been working on that longer than 2 years though.  So is that it?  Gonna sell out and move to town now?  Or do you have another big observing project in mind?

Roy

[...]

Great achievement Ted. Congratulations.

Cheers

Ian

On 9/20/2020 12:22 PM, Ted Forte wrote:

[...]

Ha! Roy.  Never out of deep sky objects.  I’m working toward observing all of the NGC (at least the 96% the rise above my horizon) and then there is the IC of course.  My count so far is 5,662 NGC and 550 IC in the bag.  That’s not to mention the few thousand non NGC/IC deep sky items that have found their way into the eyepiece. The Herschel stuff was just a side trip.

Ted

[...]

Congrats Ted, very hazy from the smoke here on the mountain

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Sep 20, 2020, at 10:22, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

[...]

RapidEye

That is truly amazing Ted - congrats!

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020, 12:22 PM Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

[...]

Ron Robisch

Ted, that is truly a mind-numbing accomplishment!  Is that all with your 18"?

-Ron

Ted Forte

Hi Ron

It’s been a long time, my friend.

Some of it was with the 18, and a little with my 8-inch SCT, but quite a bit of this was done with my 30-inch Dob in my backyard observatory.

Ted

Ted, that is truly a mind-numbing accomplishment!  Is that all with your 18"?

-Ron

vp

Congratulations, Ted!  You are truly a glutton for punishment.

George
On September 20, 2020 12:22 PM Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

[...]

VP, Back Bay Amateur Astronomers
BBAA
Outreach Coordinator
backbayastro.org

Ron Robisch

It has indeed been a long time, Ted!  I miss the days of observing with you and Kent and everyone else down in Coinjock.  I always get the BackBayAstro digests, but 99% of the time I skip or delete along with so many other emails.  I just happen to look at one yesterday and saw your post.

I can not imagine what viewing with a 30" from New Mexico skies must be like.  I mean, I'm trying to imagine it, and I just can't.  You are living the dream!  If I ever get to New Mexico, can I visit?

Clear skies,
Ron

Ted Forte

Hey Ron,

Make that Arizona not New Mexico, and sure, any BBAA’er, past, present, or future would be welcome at the “Desert Coyote Observatory” (I purchased the observatory, inherited the name).

Ted

It has indeed been a long time, Ted!  I miss the days of observing with you and Kent and everyone else down in Coinjock.  I always get the BackBayAstro digests, but 99% of the time I skip or delete along with so many other emails.  I just happen to look at one yesterday and saw your post.

I can not imagine what viewing with a 30" from New Mexico skies must be like.  I mean, I'm trying to imagine it, and I just can't.  You are living the dream!  If I ever get to New Mexico, can I visit?

Clear skies,
Ron

Kent Blackwell

My grandmother used to say, "haven't you seen everything in the sky? My gosh, that was 35 years ago and I'm still not running out of things to look at. I EVEN look at some of them twice....or 3 times....or 4 times...bla bla bla. And you all know what I say when I see an object after having seen it before, right?