From: Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...>
To: Roy Diffrient <mail@...>, kentblackwell <kent@...>, BBAA Groups Io <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: A record for bad seeing last night.
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 12:53:39 +0000 (UTC)

Last night was remarkable for the worst seeing that I can remember as well as 95% humidity. It was impossible to see anything on Mars and difficult to even focus on the planet. The most interesting thing about the night was as Kent and I sat in the back we had a demonstration of air currents and how they doubtless affected what we could do. Around 2130 the winds rose considerably after a still night. Clouds were moving at a very rapid pace form the west. I can't remember clouds moving at quite that velocity before while observing. They appeared to be moving faster than the surface wind would indicate. Half hour later a set of higher clouds rapidly came for the north moving quickly though they were higher in the sky. Then both sets were present each moving very quickly but at different altitudes. They literally swirled around the rising moon as if in a science fiction film making what looked like a vortex around the moon due to their respective motion. There must have been tremendous sheer at the boundary between the two air masses. Like a mixing bowl set on high. No wonder seeing was a 3 out of 10 by both our estimates. Very spectacular.

jimcoble2000

This is not too hard! You may even get to like it after a bit.

On Monday, November 2, 2020, 8:05:22 AM EST, S. Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

I agree with ~almost~ everything Mark said, except the time of 2130. I had to use all fingers and toes to figure 2130 was, to us civilians, 9:30 pm.

[...]

preciousmyprecious

Mark, I really like this: "seeing was a 3 out of 10 by both our estimates. Very spectacular."

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Monday, November 2, 2020, 07:53:43 AM EST, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Stewart

Seeing was better last night here. Mars settled down nicely several times as it migrated across the eye piece. Easy to pic up the little gem of a pole. Almost a full moon. Mare Crisium was gorgeous lying just along the terminator. Great contrast on Picard and easy to see the elevation changes on the Dorsa surrounding the crater. Love it when DST finally leaves us.

jimcoble2000

Yup a bit better last night. Mars would come partially resolved for moments. The bar as compared to Sunday night was set awfully low though. We had a nice night under 38 degree skies. First aprt of the night was a bit slow due to technical issues with Kent's scope but we got in the swing, as much as you can on a pretty bright night. I would give it 7.5 out of 10 last night.