A cold night to observe

Kent Blackwell

Brrr! At 29 degrees and windy last night it was COLD, especially with fresh snow on the ground from earlier that day. But also clear. Since the moon was full I opted to set up the grab-and-go refractor on the alt-azimuth mount and observe double stars. Even after one short hour my fingers were freezing, but it was worth the effort.

List: 21/01/27 Takahashi TSA 120 Snowed 1/26

Gamma Leporis

(Double Star in Lepus)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 8:50:19 PM

Comment: A wide pair. The primary is yellow and the secondary is reddish.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Sigma Orionis

(Variable Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 8:53:36 PM

Comment: Beautiful quadruple star system. All the components are blue. This grouping of stars live just south of the eastern belt star of Orion

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Mintaka - Delta Ori

(Variable Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 8:55:44 PM

Comment: This is the western most belt star of Orion. The primary is for a brighter than the secondary, both stars are blue

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Meissa - Lambda Ori

(Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 8:56:52 PM

Comment: Located at Orion’s head, this is a fairly tight pair of blue stars.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

HR 1908

(Variable Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 8:58:06 PM

Comment: Deep orange fifth magnitude star, it lies 880 light years away and nearly 500 times more luminous than our sun.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Beta Monocerotis

(Variable Double Star in Monoceros)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 8:59:42 PM

Comment: Tight trio grouping of blue stars. They look very beautiful against the black background.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

NGC 2232

(Open Cluster in Monoceros)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:00:44 PM

Comment: Large, sparse grouping a fairly bright stars in this open cluster.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Epsilon Monocerotis

(Double Star in Monoceros)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:01:55 PM

Comment: Fairly tight 4th magnitude yellow white primary and a 6th magnitude blue secondary.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

W Orionis

(Variable Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:03:36 PM

Comment: 5th magnitude deep red carbon star 1231 light years away.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Keid - Omicron2 Eri

(Double Star in Eridanus)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:20:48 PM

Comment: Wide pair of stars, but with magnitude contrast. The primary is 4.4 magnitude and the secondary is 9.7.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

32 Eridani

(Variable Double Star in Eridanus)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:21:59 PM

Comment: Gorgeous color contrasting pair, much like the star Alberio.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Theta2 Tauri

(Variable Double Star in Taurus)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:23:43 PM

Comment: Beautiful pair of stars nearly equal in magnitude but this one is blue and Theta 1 is yellow.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Theta1 Tauri

(Variable Double Star in Taurus)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:24:19 PM

Comment: Beautiful equally bright pair of stars but this one is yellow and Theta 2  is blue.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Kaffaljidhma - Gamma Cet

(Double Star in Cetus)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:27:09 PM

Comment: Unequal pair of blue stars and only 2” apart.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Menkar - Alpha Cet

(Variable Star in Cetus)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:28:47 PM

Comment: Bright, 2.5 magnitude deep orange star. An aging dying star 1800 times more luminous than our sun.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

54 Leonis

(Double Star in Leo)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:31:42 PM

Comment: 6.7”

Bright blue white primary and a pale blue secondary.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Zosma - Delta Leo

(Variable Double Star in Leo)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:33:24 PM

Comment: Beautiful magnitude contrasting pair. The primary is 2.5 magnitude and the secondary is 10.9.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

7 Leonis Minoris

(Double Star in Leo Minor)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:35:00 PM

Comment: 61”

Although a wide pair, there’s a four magnitude contrast between the two.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

HR 3686

(Double Star in Lynx)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:36:13 PM

Comment: 1.8”

Tight, equal pair of beady-eyed blue stars.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

38 Lyncis

(Double Star in Lynx)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:37:07 PM

Comment: 2.5”

Tight pair of blue white stars. The primary is 2.8 magnitude and the secondary is 6.0

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 29 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

HR 3701

(Double Star in Lynx)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:38:28 PM

Comment: At 1.0” this is the tightest pair I have split tonight. Fortunately they are nearly the same magnitude. The primary is 6.1 magnitude and the secondary is 7.2.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

DI Lyncis

(Variable Double Star in Lynx)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:40:12 PM

Comment: 25.0”

The primary is blue white, and the secondary is pure blue. There is a third store about 20” away that may or may not be associated.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

HR 3287

(Variable Double Star in Lynx)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:42:03 PM

Comment: 83.9”

Beautiful pair because the primary is a deep orange in the secondary is pale blue.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

42 Leonis Minoris

(Double Star in Leo Minor)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:50:14 PM

Comment: 196”

Very wide pair of stars but nice in color contrast. The brighter primary is yellow, and the secondary is nearly pure red.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

HD 90441

(Double Star in Leo Minor)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:51:57 PM

Comment: 7.8”

The primary is 7.7 magnitude and the secondary is nearly 11th magnitude, very difficult for me to see a 5 inch telescope full moon night.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

DR Leonis

(Variable Double Star in Leo)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:53:49 PM

Comment: 5.9 magnitude deep orange carbon star. It’s a red giant.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

HR 3820

(Variable Star in Leo)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:54:47 PM

Comment: Another fifth magnitude deep orange Leo star. It is 640 times more luminous than the sun.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

7 Leonis Minoris

(Double Star in Leo Minor)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:56:13 PM

Comment: 61.3”

Deep yellow primary and a much fainter blue secondary.

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Moon

(Moon of Earth in Cancer)

Observed: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:57:51 PM

Comment: The last object I observed tonight was the full moon. Not only was it a very full moon but also an exceedingly bright moon in the 5 inch telescope!

Location: Va VA Beach Full Moon Snowed 28 Deg Windy

Equipment: 120mm F/7.5 Takahashi, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 10

Ian Stewart

Hey Kent, looks like a most productive evening. Thanks for sharing your observing list and observations. I hope you don't mind but I'll use it as a guide tonight. i can remember getting out to my observatory in Canada about 40 years ago and it being 30 or 40 below. Couldn't do that anymore. This is cold enough.

Cheers

Ian

Kent Blackwell

Yes, use my list by all means. The 1” pairs are real fun. 29 degrees last night is sounding like a heat wave compared to what you’re used to!

Ian Stewart

Well Kent you are a better man than me. I got through about half the list before the moon washed things out. Takes me a while to find things without DSCs etc. Still a wonderful way to spend an evening.
Cheers
Ian