York County Star Party

Shawn Loescher

MESSAGE FROM PHIL DE ROSA, posted to the YCSP groups.io page:

PLEASE PASS THIS INFO ALONG TO YOUR CLUBS OR OBSERVING GROUPS.

So here is where we stand:

    THE PARTY IS ON RAIN OR SHINE- I am not canceling the party.  If you can’t make it, please consider donating to help cover expenses.  Attendance has been light so far, but people seem to be registering more lately.  Not sure if everyone was holding their breath with the weather being crazy, or I’ve been too quiet, or something else.  If you would like to join us, please remember, the registration FEES INCLUDE CAMPING for as many days as you wish to visit.  You won’t save money by coming for one day, but on the other hand, you won’t lose much if it pours all week.

AND DON’T FORGET—EVEN A TRUCK/CAMPER CANMAKE IT HERE--- ROUND TRIP--- EASILY FROM MANY PLACES ON LESS THAN 20 GALLONS OF GAS.  For many people, that’s a radius of 100-300 OR MORE miles.  GPS COORDINATES ARE ON THE ABOVE WEBSITE, as well as much more info (but it needs updated.  This is the most current info)

    LOCATION- If you haven’t been here yet, then here’s what you need to know:  the grass observing field is large enough for perhaps 100 sites, which includes vehicle, tent or small camper, and observing setup.  And there is a large gravel surface parking lot for large or heavy RVs, generators are permitted, close to the bathrooms, within a comparable observing field.

    OBSERVING- After searching for a dark site in this area, I believe this site is comparable to some of the darkest sites on the east coast.  On a 400’ buff, with 2 large fields surrounded by tall pines, and not one local white light fixture visible (even without the new the new filters and shades), we have consistently seen the milky way easily, even through openings in the clouds after rainstorms.  Surrounded by Amish farms, there are no light domes easily visible on dry and cloudless nights.  Good southern horizons, as well as east and west.  Polaris is visible from most parts of the fields.

    CAMPING- The grass field has been amazing.  Even after 4 consecutive nights of heavy rain in 2019, the field had no ponding or mud, and vehicles with campers did not leave any ruts.  Tent pegs could be put into the ground without excess force, or bending.  Worst insect on the field are those darn stink bugs.  Never saw a mosquito here.  NOTE: see FOOD below

    TALKS--I have purchased a new 43” smart flatscreen for any formal or informal talks in the pavilion.  No talks yet, please contact me asap if you would like to help.

    LIGHTING--I have been working with the park supervisor about the few white lights on the property, and he has consented to addressing EVERY source of white light on the property, either with new red filters for all bathroom lights, or covering the parking lot and security lights at the office with full cut-off red shades to prevent light spillover to the observing field and past the office parking area.  I will be installing these items during the first day of the party with cooperation of the park maintenance crew.  This is about the best agreement we could hope for.

    FACILITIES RECAP: flush toilets, a large pavilion with electric for the weekend with picnic tables for eating or any talks, water fountain and spigot nearby for drinking water, a dumpster near the bathrooms (which have hot and cold water).  Recharging will be available periodically, either at the pavilion, or with an inverter generator.

    FOOD AND COOKING: sorry, the Busy Bee food vender is not available this year.  Expenses have become prohibitive for a small event like ours.  However, if you have a camper or ARE a camper, cooking is permitted with BBQs, gas stoves or above ground fires.  NO ON-GROUND FIRES ALLOWED EXCEPT IN FIRE PITS PROVIDED.  In addition, I will have available some cooking equipment for general use: a couple of gas camp stoves, large coffee pots, possibly even a microwave.  Bring water containers for your use, water is in one location near the field.  Same with electric, with a generator, or only on the weekend in the pavilion.  Ice is available locally, but plan on using coolers for your perishables.  There is a snack bar at the adjacent Muddy Run Park, near the boat rental.

Finally, I wish to thank everyone for supporting this endeavor.  I have many ideas for the future, but I first need to have a consistent attendance before I can manage to implement them.

I am hoping to retire in the next year, and I am planning to keep this party going for as long as I can, and I will eventually implement a continuity plan to keep it going after then.

Hope to see you there!

Phil

Roy Diffrient

Looks like Phil remembered to include almost everything except the dates:
June 22–26, 2022, (next week) Wednesday-Sunday.

Plus there’s another party, Sept. 21-25, at the same park.

Here’s the YCSP web site:

We have been to one star party there in 2019 (can’t make it this time) – it’s a nice clean state park, with a very nice, close-by, bathroom building, but no showers.  I believe I measured 20.8 mags/sq arc-sec on my SQM-L on a clear night.  Plan your route ahead of time – the last several miles will be on Pennsylvania back roads, but it’s mostly flat, no big hills.

Roy

On Jun 15, 2022, at 1:59 PM, Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:

[...]

George Reynolds

All the details are here  . . .  except the DATES!  When is this star party???

On Wednesday, June 15, 2022, 01:59:37 PM EDT, Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, now I saw Roy's reply -- 22-26 June, this week.

On Monday, June 20, 2022, 03:04:36 PM EDT, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

[...]

I wish I had had more advance notice, I could have planned a trip to Pennsylvania.  Maybe in the fall?

On Monday, June 20, 2022, 03:19:52 PM EDT, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

[...]

charles jagow

SPRING
JUNE 22-26, 2022
(Heh!  this is less than 2 weeks from now!)

AND

FALL
​SEPTEMBER 21-25, 2022

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Monday, June 20, 2022 at 1:20 PM
To: "BackBayAstro@groups.io" <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] York County Star Party

[...]

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

George Reynolds

Chuck,

You are a fountain of information on our eastern star parties!  I may register for the fall YCSP.  Too late for the one this week.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Monday, June 20, 2022 at 1:20 PM
To: "BackBayAstro@groups.io" <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

[...]

Hi George,
Also hard-to-find is the exact location – both parties, spring (this coming weekend) and fall (September 21-25), will be at Susquehanock State Park, south of Lancaster PA near the Susquehanna River.

Roy

On Jun 20, 2022, at 3:20 PM, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

[...]

Yeah, Roy, I had to go to the YCSP website to find the address

1880 Park Dr, Drumore, PA 17518