Another fine evening with the moon. Domes, domes, domes.

jimcoble2000

Hope you got out tonight Ian. Another banner night for seeing. The weather here was odd in that there was a haze all day long artificially created by a zillion jets making contrails. Those contrails spread out and created a strata of haze over us.

That said observing tonight was very good. The feature of the night was domes, lots of them. The terminator was perfect and I was able to gather about 5 domes in various regions. Near Copernicus the Hortensias Domes were easily seen. There are about 6 domes there. Another is Milichius close by. Further south Keis Pi dome showed up too. The summit pits were visible in many of them at 170X . Good seeing.

These domes are considered to be small shield volcanoes much like very smaller versions of Mauna Kea and the Hawaiian islands overall. They are fairly flat, low elevation volcanic domes created by very fluid lavas, layer by layer. Not like the steep explosive strato volcanoes such as St Helens or the Japanese Island volcanoes.

A good example is Gillespie Peak in Arizona outside of Phoenix. Here is a link to the Google Maps image.

Ian Stewart

Hey Mark, I missed last night - too bad because I did want to try and check out some of the domes. Thanks for sharing your observations ... Cheers Ian

On 1/12/2022 7:14 PM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Take a break tonight. Clouds