The Universe In Action

Roy Diffrient

Think the universe is moving so slow and distances so vast that no change is visible?  A look at the time lapse images here could change your mind.  Surprising motion of stars and DSO’s shown by Tom Polakis.  This from the Amastro list.

One of my fav’s is the difficult reflection nebula Gyulbudaghian’s Nebula – This image series really explains a lot about the visibility of this object over the last 25 years or so.

Roy

—————

“Something I've spent too much time doing is creating time-lapse sequences using images taken many decades apart.  In this case, here's the motion of HD 134439 and HD 134440 over the course of 34 years.  The 1954 image is from the first Palomar Sky Survey, while the image from 1987 is a UK Schmidt image. The pair of stars moved by more than 2 arcminutes between the two frames.

https://i.imgur.com/l0SEdWc.gif

In case there's interest, here's my gallery of deep-sky object animations.

https://pbase.com/polakis/timelapse_deepsky

Tom“

William Rust

The stars in the Milky Way move a lot when seen from the earth.  This is call "proper motion".  That is why the Naval Observatory updates the bright star catalogue every year.  This is not surprising since the earth rotates around the center of gravity of the M.W. and experiences nutation and precession thanks to the moon, tides and other planets pulling us.

Bill

[...]

Ted Forte

Tom Polakis does amazing work, doesn’t he?

I was mesmerized by many of these time lapse sequences, especially the planetaries, and the variable nebulae.  As Roy points out the sequences with Gyulbudaghian’s Nebula does indeed explain a lot.

I can remember a number of times seeing Gyulbudaghian’s (and not seeing it) since you first brought it to our attention, Roy, back in 1998, I think.

Ted

Think the universe is moving so slow and distances so vast that no change is visible?  A look at the time lapse images here could change your mind.  Surprising motion of stars and DSO’s shown by Tom Polakis.  This from the Amastro list.

One of my fav’s is the difficult reflection nebula Gyulbudaghian’s Nebula – This image series really explains a lot about the visibility of this object over the last 25 years or so.

Roy

galacticprobe

This does have that "Wow!" factor when seen in time-lapse. I mean, I knew things moved, and have noticed changes in a few things over the decades that I've been looking up, but when you see the time-lapse... "Wow!".

I couldn't find any old images of the Horsehead Nebula (say, ca. late 1960s-early 1970s) to show a comparison to modern images of it, but personally, I think that nebula's right side has moved far enough away from the horse's "neck" that now it looks more like it should be called the "Sasquatch" Nebula than a horsehead!

"Keep looking up!"
Dino.