Saturday SUN Day coming up

George Reynolds

Saturday SUN Day is coming up this Saturday, 29 May from 1000 to 1300 at Elizabeth River Park.  Grab your solar filters and mark your calendars to attend, weather permitting.  And pray that there will be some sunspots to see!

I will not be able to attend this one, because I will be visiting family in the Richmond area that weekend.  And one of our "regulars". Chuck Jagow, will no longer be a part of SUN Day.  (He may have to start his own SUN Day in Colorado.)  Some of our regulars include Mel Spruill, Jeff Thornton, Eddie Parris, and Mike Webster.

Others are invited to come enjoy the Sun and chat with visitors who come by to gaze through the telescopes.

Secretary

Hello George,

I can help with the event, but I only have a white light solar filter for my ETX 90. Also, I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination on our Sun. I will definitely need some expert help out there. Maybe someone with a true solar telescope?

Jeff Thornton

On May 25, 2021 1:00 PM George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Saturday SUN Day is coming up this Saturday, 29 May from 1000 to 1300 at Elizabeth River Park. Grab your solar filters and mark your calendars to attend, weather permitting. And pray that there will be some sunspots to see!

I will not be able to attend this one, because I will be visiting family in the Richmond area that weekend. And one of our "regulars". Chuck Jagow, will no longer be a part of SUN Day. (He may have to start his own SUN Day in Colorado.) Some of our regulars include Mel Spruill, Jeff Thornton, Eddie Parris, and Mike Webster.

Others are invited to come enjoy the Sun and chat with visitors who come by to gaze through the telescopes.

http://www.backbayastro.org (http://www.backbayastro.org/)
http://www.geocities.com/pathfinder027/spacex.html

http://groups.hamptonroads.com/BBAA/
Jeffrey Thornton
Secretary,
Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Bird Taylor

Doesn’t BBAA have a Personal Solar Telescope hydrogen-alpha?

On May 25, 2021, at 15:49 11, Secretary <secretary@backbayastro.org> wrote:

Jim Tallman

Pretty sure they don't Bird

Jim Tallman

George,

Jim Tallman

George,
I can be there with a CPC 800 and a solar scope.

Jim Tallman

And Bird would be a welcome sight if he showed up :-),

Jeffrey Thornton

It would be great to see both of you at the event! According to NASA, the sun is in a solar minimum and this is why we're not seeing as much activity as usual. https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/solar-cycles/en/
With that said, we still get sunspots. Hopefully, we will have one or two on Saturday.

Secretary

Yes, and I now have it to use on Saturday! Just have to hope we have a clear sky... Fingers crossed.

Jeff

On May 25, 2021 7:17 PM Bird <birdtaylor@cox.net> wrote:

Doesn’t BBAA have a Personal Solar Telescope hydrogen-alpha?

On May 25, 2021, at 15:49 11, Secretary <secretary@backbayastro.org> wrote:
Jeffrey Thornton
Secretary,
Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Jim Tallman

Not looking good right now unfortunately

preciousmyprecious

Mystery solved. Thank you

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean