I finally got it!

George Reynolds

I finally got the 100th object and the last one I was missing for the Astronomical League's Urban Program, NGC3242, The Ghost of Jupiter!  I got in the ballpark with Chuck Jagow's Orion Starblast 6i, but could not see it.  I got out my trusty Orion UltraView 8x42 binoculars, and star-hopped from Alphard (Alpha Hydrae) down to nu1, then up to nu2 and lambda, then down to mu Hya.  I had sort of memorized the star patterns south of mu, so I star-hopped through them, and -- Voila!  There was NGC3242!  At 120X and at 240X it was a fuzzy blob, but it was there.  And it didn't look at all like Jupiter (maybe a ghost of ... something).

If I had found all the objects in the Urban List back in 2003 or 2004 when I got 90% of the objects, I would be done now, but the A.L. had ADDED one new requirement.  I have to observe Algol (again), and this time I have to watch it over a period of time and estimate its brightness and sketch it.

That's a project for another night.

Excellent job George!

On 3/29/2021 11:18 PM, George Reynolds via groups.io wrote:
[...]

WOOO HOOOO George,

One correction, it is George’s 6i.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] I finally got it!

[...]

Treasurer - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Rott'n Paws Observatory

    N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512

Jonathan Scheetz

That's great George!  I'm been struggling with the Galaxies at my house.  Seems to take me three or four tries before I can see them with averted vision.  When I do see them they are very faint and I certainly am not making out any details yet.
I am most concerned about being able to make out M84 and M86.  The calculated surface brightness for them is 14 and I can barely make out M81 which has calculated SB of 13.2.  M84 and M86 are highest in the sky so I guess I will know then.
So, far I have been able to see each AL Urban Program object when conditions are favorable but I am beginning to doubt that I will be able to see every object but I am going to give it my best shot.

I completed the Algol observations.  I did them twice.  I found a calculator for the minima and you might find it helpful.  I couldn't make sense of the one suggested on the AL program page.
See: https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/the-minima-of-algol/

Congratulations again!

Jonathan

George Reynolds

I must clarify how I finally got to NGC 3242.  It was a combination of the Starblast 6i to get me in the right area, the binoculars to star-hop to its vicinity, but I finally SAW it in Samantha's 8-inch Dob (which lives at my house).  I found Mu Hya in the 30mm eyepiece (40X), stepped up to the 25mm ep (48X), then the 10mm (120X -- which is where I first saw the fuzzy blob that was "The Eye Nebula", a.k.a., "The Ghost of Jupiter"), and finally I tried my seldom-used 5.2mm Lanthanum eyepiece (231X) and magnified the fuzzy blob.  I could tell it was not a star out of focus, because I could see a small, dim star nearby, in focus.

I was aided by the fact that the waning gibbous Moon did not rise until about 20:41, and although I was observing after 22:00, the Moon was blocked by my house.  After finding my target, the Moon appeared, and I looked at it in the 8-inch Dob, without a Moon filter (Boy, was it bright!), with all 4 eyepieces.  With the 5.2, I felt like an astronaut in orbit above the surface of the Moon.  Now I am inspired to try to do the "Lunar II" program of the Astronomical League.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>

[...]

Good job George!  Congrats.  Now, of course, I know you’re working on the planetary nebula program next.

Ted

[...]

Secretary

Make sure you use the moon filter! I was looking at the moon last night through my binoculars and I am still seeing spots... LoL

Jeff

http://www.backbayastro.org (http://www.backbayastro.org/)
http://www.geocities.com/pathfinder027/spacex.html

http://groups.hamptonroads.com/BBAA/

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (http://www.backbayastro.org/)
Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley (https://www.darkskiescolorado.org/)
Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association (https://csastro.org/)
Rott'n Paws Observatory (http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap_obs_1.shtml)Moving ToVerde Mont Observatory (http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/sangre.shtml)
From:<BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date:Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM
To:BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
[...]

Treasurer - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (http://www.backbayastro.org/)
Rott'n Paws Observatory (http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap.htm)
N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512 (http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap.htm)
Jeffrey Thornton
Secretary,
Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

George Reynolds

Thanks, Jonathan, for the link.  Best wishes on your Urban observing list.  Do you have a good way to log your observations?  I use an Excel spreadsheet of my own making, with columns for

Object number, Name, Type, Constellation, Observing location, Date, Time, Equipment (telescope & eps), Power, Seeing, Transparency, and Comments.  (Some of the columns are pretty small.)

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 09:31:45 AM EDT, Jonathan Scheetz <jonathan@...> wrote:

[...]

THANK YOU, Chuck, for the 6i.  I still haven't decided its ultimate destination, but I am using it when I can.

And thank you for the Sun Funnel, which I "borrowed" from you many, many years ago (with no intention to return).  Emoji

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>

[...]

Yeah, Jeff, I was "night-blind" in my right eye after looking at the almost-full Moon without a filter.  (I was too lazy to screw in my Moon filter.)

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 10:33:53 AM EDT, Secretary <secretary@...> wrote:

> [...]

> If I had found all the objects in the Urban List back in 2003 or 2004 when I got 90% of the objects, I would be done now, but the A.L. had ADDED one new requirement. I have to observe Algol (again), and this time I have to watch it over a period of time and estimate its brightness and sketch it.
> That's a project for another night.
> George
> George Reynolds
> "Solar System Ambassador" for South Hampton Roads, Virginia

Oh, by the way, Chuck,  three times I tripped on the splayed legs of the table the 6i sits on.  But rather than "curse the darkness", I decided to be more alert and watch where I step!  Emoji

Each time I think it messed up the computer object locator's idea of its position, so three times I had to set the scope back to vertical and re-align the computer object locator with a 2-star alignment.  It worked well.  And I am getting used to the red dot finder.  It's a bit hard to adjust the altitude and azimuth of the finder (without moving the whole telescope by accident), but I got it.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>

[...]

I'm also just using an excel spreadsheet with a few modifications. I think that is working OK for me.

charles jagow

Glad you are getting use out of it!

I could not think of a better family to have the sun funnel and the 6i.