Newly published Mars Pocket Atlas

jimcoble2000

I noticed this nice small pocket atlas to Mars which has just been published. Inexpensive, it looks like a very nice atlas of features and albedo features (what you see in a telescope). We won't get another shot at Mars for a couple of years but, as those of you who looked at Mars this superb year know, a good guide is hard to find and makes observing more fun.

These books normally do not have long printings and often command large prices after they go out of print. Just see how much a spiral bound pocket sky atlas will set you back now on Amazon. Or the excellent Lunar book "The Modern Moon" . I think I bought it for 30 or so dollars and it is my go to guide. Now it goes for a couple hundred on the used market.

This current atlas is a good price and should be considered. I just ordered mine.

Bird Taylor

Hey Mark,

Thanks. I’m followed your lead and ordered mine, too. Very nice.

Clear Dark Skies,
Bird

On Mar 18, 2021, at 09:04 43, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

I noticed this nice small pocket atlas to Mars which has just been published. Inexpensive, it looks like a very nice atlas of features and albedo features (what you see in a telescope). We won't get another shot at Mars for a couple of years but, as those of you who looked at Mars this superb year know, a good guide is hard to find and makes observing more fun.

These books normally do not have long printings and often command large prices after they go out of print. Just see how much a spiral bound pocket sky atlas will set you back now on Amazon. Or the excellent Lunar book "The Modern Moon" . I think I bought it for 30 or so dollars and it is my go to guide. Now it goes for a couple hundred on the used market.

This current atlas is a good price and should be considered. I just ordered mine.

George Reynolds

Thanks, guys!  I ordered one, too.

On Thursday, March 18, 2021, 03:20:27 PM EDT, Bird Taylor <birdtaylor@...> wrote:

[...]

Roy Diffrient

The vendor reports low stock and 17 orders today.  Better hurry.

Roy

On Mar 18, 2021, at 9:04 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

I noticed this nice small pocket atlas to Mars which has just been published. Inexpensive, it looks like a very nice atlas of features and albedo features (what you see in a telescope). We won't get another shot at Mars for a couple of years but, as those of you who looked at Mars this superb year know, a good guide is hard to find and makes observing more fun.

These books normally do not have long printings and often command large prices after they go out of print. Just see how much a spiral bound pocket sky atlas will set you back now on Amazon. Or the excellent Lunar book "The Modern Moon" . I think I bought it for 30 or so dollars and it is my go to guide. Now it goes for a couple hundred on the used market.

This current atlas is a good price and should be considered. I just ordered mine.

Jonathan Scheetz

Good catch.  I ordered mine.  Thanks!

Ted Forte

Maybe Mark should get a commission.

I was one of the 17 apparently.

Ted

[...]

Richard Saunders

I got one too!  Thanks Mark!
Scott

Kent Blackwell

Ditto. Mars might be close in 2022 but poor little Mars is so tiny now. Everyone looked at him in October but now we totally ignore him.

Ted Forte

Except when it pushes its way into some bright cluster like the Pleiades!

Ditto. Mars might be close in 2022 but poor little Mars is so tiny now. Everyone looked at him in October but now we totally ignore him.

jimcoble2000

Emoji Disclaimer! I have no financial interest inEmoji this! Lets race to see who gets theirs first

On Thursday, March 18, 2021, 3:20:27 PM EDT, Bird Taylor <birdtaylor@...> wrote:

[...]

Kicked to the curb as alwaysEmoji

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 11:10:53 AM EDT, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

Ditto. Mars might be close in 2022 but poor little Mars is so tiny now. Everyone looked at him in October but now we totally ignore him.

Bird Taylor

Hey Mark,

I believe that I got an email saying that my copies had shipped from Hungary, and may be here from the end of the month through the first couple of weeks or so of April. I’m not holding my breath on this one. Thanks again for the heads up.

Clear Dark Skies,
Bird

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 7:49:10 PM EDT, Bird Taylor <birdtaylor@...> wrote:

[...]

vp

I don't know about that, Kent.  I pointed out Mars to the folks who came out to Skywatch earlier this month.  My 13-year-old granddaughter Chloe was the first one to see Mars when it popped out of the twilight.

George
On March 20, 2021 11:10 AM Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

Ditto. Mars might be close in 2022 but poor little Mars is so tiny now. Everyone looked at him in October but now we totally ignore him.

George Reynolds
VP, Back Bay Amateur Astronomers
BBAA
Outreach Coordinator