Excellent comet weather this morning


jimcoble2000
 

Most likely to be my last post on this subject as three nights in a row have given enough satisfaction on this object. In ten days may to try see it in the evening sky. That would be a first for me. Morning and evening comet!

Very clear this morning. Not much to add observational wise. I did try to see how long I could hold the comet in view naked eye. Knowing exactly where it was I lost it in the sky around 0517. It was still visible in binoculars at that time but the tail was in the process of disappearing at that time. Mostly gone.

I tried to do a stellar estimate of brightness but the comet was too low down so there was a lot of atmospheric extinction and there was no bright star close enough to rack out of focus. Seat of the pants guess is maybe 1st magnitude now. Still quite bright but perhaps not as burning white as the last three days.


Jim Tallman
 

Yes, it was an excellent morning! I went down to the beach and watched the comet this morning. Amazing is all I can say!

Got some good pictures too




On Jul 11, 2020 at 05:41, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Most likely to be my last post on this subject as three nights in a row have given enough satisfaction on this object. In ten days may to try see it in the evening sky. That would be a first for me. Morning and evening comet!

Very clear this morning. Not much to add observational wise. I did try to see how long I could hold the comet in view naked eye. Knowing exactly where it was I lost it in the sky around 0517. It was still visible in binoculars at that time but the tail was in the process of disappearing at that time. Mostly gone.

I tried to do a stellar estimate of brightness but the comet was too low down so there was a lot of atmospheric extinction and there was no bright star close enough to rack out of focus. Seat of the pants guess is maybe 1st magnitude now. Still quite bright but perhaps not as burning white as the last three days.


Jeffrey Thornton
 

Outstanding comet! Was able to get over to Ocean View beach this morning and it did not disappoint!


Jim Tallman
 

Lol....I was down the ways in Bayview


On Jul 11, 2020 at 06:19, Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:

Outstanding comet! Was able to get over to Ocean View beach this morning and it did not disappoint!


Kent Blackwell
 

Agreed. We either had haze or the comet is dimming.

Kent 

6 Plus

On Jul 11, 2020, at 5:41 AM, Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Most likely to be my last post on this subject as three nights in a row have given enough satisfaction on this object. In ten days may to try see it in the evening sky. That would be a first for me. Morning and evening comet!

Very clear this morning. Not much to add observational wise. I did try to see how long I could hold the comet in view naked eye. Knowing exactly where it was I lost it in the sky around 0517. It was still visible in binoculars at that time but the tail was in the process of disappearing at that time. Mostly gone.

I tried to do a stellar estimate of brightness but the comet was too low down so there was a lot of atmospheric extinction and there was no bright star close enough to rack out of focus. Seat of the pants guess is maybe 1st magnitude now. Still quite bright but perhaps not as burning white as the last three days.


jimcoble2000
 

Nice picture Mr. Tallman! I recognize that cloud.

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 6:06:53 AM EDT, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:


Yes, it was an excellent morning! I went down to the beach and watched the comet this morning. Amazing is all I can say!

Got some good pictures too




On Jul 11, 2020 at 05:41, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Most likely to be my last post on this subject as three nights in a row have given enough satisfaction on this object. In ten days may to try see it in the evening sky. That would be a first for me. Morning and evening comet!

Very clear this morning. Not much to add observational wise. I did try to see how long I could hold the comet in view naked eye. Knowing exactly where it was I lost it in the sky around 0517. It was still visible in binoculars at that time but the tail was in the process of disappearing at that time. Mostly gone.

I tried to do a stellar estimate of brightness but the comet was too low down so there was a lot of atmospheric extinction and there was no bright star close enough to rack out of focus. Seat of the pants guess is maybe 1st magnitude now. Still quite bright but perhaps not as burning white as the last three days.


jimcoble2000
 

Excellent picture with the gradation of sunrise. AND you survived Ocean View at that hour! There was a time years ago when going to Ocean View at that hour took a brave and/or foolish man!

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 6:19:13 AM EDT, Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:


Outstanding comet! Was able to get over to Ocean View beach this morning and it did not disappoint!


jimcoble2000
 

Oh yes. The best comet in 25 to 30 years.

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 6:06:53 AM EDT, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:


Yes, it was an excellent morning! I went down to the beach and watched the comet this morning. Amazing is all I can say!

Got some good pictures too




On Jul 11, 2020 at 05:41, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Most likely to be my last post on this subject as three nights in a row have given enough satisfaction on this object. In ten days may to try see it in the evening sky. That would be a first for me. Morning and evening comet!

Very clear this morning. Not much to add observational wise. I did try to see how long I could hold the comet in view naked eye. Knowing exactly where it was I lost it in the sky around 0517. It was still visible in binoculars at that time but the tail was in the process of disappearing at that time. Mostly gone.

I tried to do a stellar estimate of brightness but the comet was too low down so there was a lot of atmospheric extinction and there was no bright star close enough to rack out of focus. Seat of the pants guess is maybe 1st magnitude now. Still quite bright but perhaps not as burning white as the last three days.


Paul
 

Made it out with a few of the Peninsula guys to Ft. Monroe this morning. Wow is all I can say. Definitely the best comet since I got back into the hobby 11 years ago. We spotted it when it was only ~3 deg above the horizon. It was fun taking turns viewing naked eye, with binoculars, and in my 8" telescope until it finally faded into the approaching daylight. One cool thing was when the ISS went by, we were able to see both in binoculars at the same time! The experience of being on the water and watching the celestial show at that peaceful hour was quite wonderful. Other memorable sights: Venus-shine on the water, a crescent Venus bumped up against Aldeberan with the Hyades in the background, Mars mingling with the Moon, the panorama of color in the glow of dawn, and as a finale, the glorious sunrise, watched in its entirety from the moment the Sun just peeked above the horizon.


On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 8:11 AM jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Oh yes. The best comet in 25 to 30 years.

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 6:06:53 AM EDT, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:


Yes, it was an excellent morning! I went down to the beach and watched the comet this morning. Amazing is all I can say!

Got some good pictures too




On Jul 11, 2020 at 05:41, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Most likely to be my last post on this subject as three nights in a row have given enough satisfaction on this object. In ten days may to try see it in the evening sky. That would be a first for me. Morning and evening comet!

Very clear this morning. Not much to add observational wise. I did try to see how long I could hold the comet in view naked eye. Knowing exactly where it was I lost it in the sky around 0517. It was still visible in binoculars at that time but the tail was in the process of disappearing at that time. Mostly gone.

I tried to do a stellar estimate of brightness but the comet was too low down so there was a lot of atmospheric extinction and there was no bright star close enough to rack out of focus. Seat of the pants guess is maybe 1st magnitude now. Still quite bright but perhaps not as burning white as the last three days.


Jeffrey Thornton
 

Thank you Jim, It was just me and my brother-in-law on this trip. The beach was rather vacant, except someone sleeping in a fold out beach chair. Another photographer was in the old greenies parking lot, but it was rather peaceful, which is a very good thing.


Jeffrey Thornton
 

Have to agree. Not seen a comet this bright sense comet Hale-Bopp way back in 1987.  Just have to hope it holds together for a while longer.


Jim Tallman
 

Lol....it was a test to see if you were really out or not :).

The Mrs. Is going to join me tomorrow morning. We are taking our coffee to sit and watch

Jim


On Jul 11, 2020 at 07:59, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Nice picture Mr. Tallman! I recognize that cloud.

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 6:06:53 AM EDT, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:


Yes, it was an excellent morning! I went down to the beach and watched the comet this morning. Amazing is all I can say!

Got some good pictures too




On Jul 11, 2020 at 05:41, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Most likely to be my last post on this subject as three nights in a row have given enough satisfaction on this object. In ten days may to try see it in the evening sky. That would be a first for me. Morning and evening comet!

Very clear this morning. Not much to add observational wise. I did try to see how long I could hold the comet in view naked eye. Knowing exactly where it was I lost it in the sky around 0517. It was still visible in binoculars at that time but the tail was in the process of disappearing at that time. Mostly gone.

I tried to do a stellar estimate of brightness but the comet was too low down so there was a lot of atmospheric extinction and there was no bright star close enough to rack out of focus. Seat of the pants guess is maybe 1st magnitude now. Still quite bright but perhaps not as burning white as the last three days.



Matthew Cook
 

Wasn’t that in 1997?  


On Jul 11, 2020, at 13:02, Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:

Have to agree. Not seen a comet this bright sense comet Hale-Bopp way back in 1987.  Just have to hope it holds together for a while longer.


Jeffrey Thornton
 

My mistake, Yes 1997. Here is one from that comet.


vp
 

Nice picture of the comet, Jeff!

George
On July 11, 2020 6:19 AM Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:


Outstanding comet! Was able to get over to Ocean View beach this morning and it did not disappoint!

George Reynolds 
VP, Back Bay Amateur Astronomers 
BBAA 
Outreach Coordinator
backbayastro.org



Ian Stewart
 

First time seeing it at night. Got a good look at it in the binoculars around 9:30. Couldn't pick it up naked eye in the haze.


jimcoble2000
 

We were too hazy in VB. to make an attempt. Rest of the week into late next week looks poor.

On Friday, July 17, 2020, 7:29:21 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:


First time seeing it at night. Got a good look at it in the binoculars around 9:30. Couldn't pick it up naked eye in the haze.