From: backbayastro@...
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:55 AM
To: backbayastro@...
Cc: moodya@...; Kent Blackwell ; Ted Forte ; jimcoble2000@...
Subject: [backbayastro] First Light

I have finally completed (well, mostly) a new telescope.  It has been a lot of work and a long time getting here but it’s now becoming real at last.  It’s a 28” f/3.6 (101.5” FL) visual Newtonian on an alt-az goto mount, made mostly of aluminum.  Optics are from Steve Kennedy, with a Kennedy Optics primary and Ostahowski Optics secondary.  The primary is on a 27-point separate cell with motorized collimation and truss flexure compensation.  The clutched servo drive system is by Sidereal Technology and I’ve included wireless control.  For mobility, I’ve adapted a small, hand-cranked trailer-mover.  In case of thunder the fully assembled telescope rolls into my trailer.  Plans are for it to be at ECSP in a few weeks.  Here’s hoping for clear skies.

Thanks, Kent – you should get the check on Monday....

Roy

OMG, how gorgeous. And so is the scope. I can’t wait to peer through it. Man, that is ONE BIG telescope. 28” and no taller than my 16” f/6; simply amazing. Roy, you’re a genius to build it and it’s going to win lots of “Best In Show” awards.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have finally completed (well, mostly) a new telescope.  It has been a lot of work and a long time getting here but it’s now becoming real at last.  It’s a 28” f/3.6 (101.5” FL) visual Newtonian on an alt-az goto mount, made mostly of aluminum.  Optics are from Steve Kennedy, with a Kennedy Optics primary and Ostahowski Optics secondary.  The primary is on a 27-point separate cell with motorized collimation and truss flexure compensation.  The clutched servo drive system is by Sidereal Technology and I’ve included wireless control.  For mobility, I’ve adapted a small, hand-cranked trailer-mover.  In case of thunder the fully assembled telescope rolls into my trailer.  Plans are for it to be at ECSP in a few weeks.  Here’s hoping for clear skies.

Roy

Dale Carey

I wanna seeeeee....    I call 1st....

Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:55 AM

I have finally completed (well, mostly) a new telescope.  It has been a lot of work and a long time getting here but it’s now becoming real at last.  It’s a 28” f/3.6 (101.5” FL) visual Newtonian on an alt-az goto mount, made mostly of aluminum.  Optics are from Steve Kennedy, with a Kennedy Optics primary and Ostahowski Optics secondary.  The primary is on a 27-point separate cell with motorized collimation and truss flexure compensation.  The clutched servo drive system is by Sidereal Technology and I’ve included wireless control.  For mobility, I’ve adapted a small, hand-cranked trailer-mover.  In case of thunder the fully assembled telescope rolls into my trailer.  Plans are for it to be at ECSP in a few weeks.  Here’s hoping for clear skies.

Roy

Jim Tallman

Hahahahahahaaa...😎, I'm next behind Dale, I can make rude noises in a dark and blame them on him

Jim

Sent from my Stupid Phone

I wanna seeeeee.... I call 1st....

Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:55 AM

I have finally completed (well, mostly) a new telescope. It has been a lot of work and a long time getting here but it’s now becoming real at last. It’s a 28” f/3.6 (101.5” FL) visual Newtonian on an alt-az goto mount, made mostly of aluminum. Optics are from Steve Kennedy, with a Kennedy Optics primary and Ostahowski Optics secondary. The primary is on a 27-point separate cell with motorized collimation and truss flexure compensation. The clutched servo drive system is by Sidereal Technology and I’ve included wireless control. For mobility, I’ve adapted a small, hand-cranked trailer-mover. In case of thunder the fully assembled telescope rolls into my trailer. Plans are for it to be at ECSP in a few weeks. Here’s hoping for clear skies.
Roy

Jim Tallman

Will Marilyn be there for the ribbon-cutting? If so I'm not sure I really want to look 😎

Sent from my Stupid Phone

On Apr 21, 2018 11:55 AM, "'Roy Diffrient' mail@... [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@...> wrote:

I have finally completed (well, mostly) a new telescope. It has been a lot of work and a long time getting here but it’s now becoming real at last. It’s a 28” f/3.6 (101.5” FL) visual Newtonian on an alt-az goto mount, made mostly of aluminum. Optics are from Steve Kennedy, with a Kennedy Optics primary and Ostahowski Optics secondary. The primary is on a 27-point separate cell with motorized collimation and truss flexure compensation. The clutched servo drive system is by Sidereal Technology and I’ve included wireless control. For mobility, I’ve adapted a small, hand-cranked trailer-mover. In case of thunder the fully assembled telescope rolls into my trailer. Plans are for it to be at ECSP in a few weeks. Here’s hoping for clear skies.

Marilyn?????????

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Apr 21, 2018, at 5:38 PM, Jim Tallman jctallman@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

[...]

Ribbon-cutting??????

Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:22 PM
Subject: Re: [backbayastro] First Light

[...]

AKA Ray

Sent from my Stupid Phone

On Apr 21, 2018 7:22 PM, "Chuck Jagow chuck@... [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@...> wrote:

[...]

<DSCN1994s[3].jpg>

Jim Tallman

First light ... Ribon cutting... Ray in drag...

Sent from my Stupid Phone

Ribbon-cutting??????
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:22 PM

[...]

charles jagow

That is a very fine looking piece of work, the telescope ain’t bad either.

I’ll trade you a kind of new Obsession 18 UC for it?

What made you go with a 28” mirror?  Eight more and you would have had a full meter, and probably need an elevator of sorts to access the eyepiece.

Member #1495 – Norfolk County Rifle Range

From: BBAA on behalf of BBAA
Date: Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM
To: BBAA

On Apr 21, 2018 11:55 AM, "'Roy Diffrient' mail@... [backbayastro]" wrote:

I have finally completed (well, mostly) a new telescope. It has been a lot of work and a long time getting here but it’s now becoming real at last. It’s a 28” f/3.6 (101.5” FL) visual Newtonian on an alt-az goto mount, made mostly of aluminum. Optics are from Steve Kennedy, with a Kennedy Optics primary and Ostahowski Optics secondary. The primary is on a 27-point separate cell with motorized collimation and truss flexure compensation. The clutched servo drive system is by Sidereal Technology and I’ve included wireless control. For mobility, I’ve adapted a small, hand-cranked trailer-mover. In case of thunder the fully assembled telescope rolls into my trailer. Plans are for it to be at ECSP in a few weeks. Here’s hoping for clear skies.

Roy

Stu Beaber

Congrats Roy...that is a thing of beauty...and what you did (built it) was my dream on day 2 of my astronomy life... but I quickly realized that was outta my league. Looking forward to seeing it up close at ECSP.

...NOW...if we could just figure out how to get a camera on it...HaHa...

Stu

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:55 AM, 'Roy Diffrient' mail@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

I have finally completed (well, mostly) a new telescope.  It has been a lot of work and a long time getting here but it’s now becoming real at last.  It’s a 28” f/3.6 (101.5” FL) visual Newtonian on an alt-az goto mount, made mostly of aluminum.  Optics are from Steve Kennedy, with a Kennedy Optics primary and Ostahowski Optics secondary.  The primary is on a 27-point separate cell with motorized collimation and truss flexure compensation.  The clutched servo drive system is by Sidereal Technology and I’ve included wireless control.  For mobility, I’ve adapted a small, hand-cranked trailer-mover.  In case of thunder the fully assembled telescope rolls into my trailer.  Plans are for it to be at ECSP in a few weeks.  Here’s hoping for clear skies.

Thanks Chuck.  Dee says you're a sweet talker.

Yard Scope = bigger trailer.

Roy

From: BBAA <backbayastro@...> on behalf of BBAA <backbayastro@...>
Date: Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM
To: BBAA <backbayastro@...>

[...]

<image001.jpg>

Roy Diffrient

Must have been drinking some of that strong stuff again last night.

Roy

Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:22 PM

[...]

Thanks Stu.  No serious imaging for me – “outta my league”.  I’ll leave that to you and the other experts here.

Roy

Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:46 AM

[...]

Hey Chuck...my GPS for the Gemini 1 finally don't work anymore...it's magnetized !! If I remember correctly you found a better one when you got your Gemini several years ago...Mine has the 2 fragile looking wires that plug into the Gemini.

So what you got? might as well get something better and easier to use

Stu

From: BBAA <backbayastro@...> on behalf of BBAA <backbayastro@...>
Date: Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM
To: BBAA <backbayastro@...>

[...]

Stu,

I had to buy a new cable pigtail to plug into the newer G2.  It has multiple wires as the power for the gps does not come from the g1.  So you have a pigtail that plugs into the G2 power cord and “Y”s  off two spit power cords.  One goes to the G2 and the other bifurcates into the pigtail that connects the gps to the G2 serial port so that the gps can get power.

If you go to the Star GPS site and see the two cables GPS-Gemini-2 AND a DC Y cable.  If you buy a new star gps it comes with the cable you need now.  I think.  You just have to specify what you are hooking the gps to.  Give them a call to make sure.

There are multiple Gemini power/data cable options go see http://www.stargps.ca/cables.htm

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

From: BBAA <backbayastro@...> on behalf of BBAA <backbayastro@...>
Date: Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM
To: BBAA <backbayastro@...>

[...]

I know I like mine. I use it for my gemini 2 and Orion go-to dob

Jim

Sent from my Stupid Phone

On Apr 23, 2018 7:37 AM, "Stu Beaber wd4sel@... [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@...> wrote:

Thanks Chuck...that's the one I was looking at (Star GPS)...I like the idea of just buying a new pigtail cable to match what ever you upgrade to. Currently I still have 2 Gemini 1's and am ready to hit the "buy button"...

See you at ECSP,
Stu

[Attachment(s) from Chuck Jagow included below]

From: BBAA <backbayastro@...> on behalf of BBAA <backbayastro@...>
Date: Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM
To: BBAA <backbayastro@...>

[...]

The new Gemini 2 are cat/dogs better than the Gemini-1. I have the latest and greatest, the new mini G2 controller. Much easier to use, better goto accuracy. I whole heartedly recommend the new G2 system, AND the new high torque motors.

Keep the old one for a back up though...

President - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers
Rott'n Paws Observatory | N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512
Member - Norfolk County Rifle Range #1495

Thanks Chuck...that's the one I was looking at (Star GPS)...I like the idea
of just buying a new pigtail cable to match what ever you upgrade to.
Currently I still have 2 Gemini 1's and am ready to hit the "buy button"...

See you at ECSP,
Stu

[Attachment(s) <#m_-2297630350118805717_TopText> from Chuck Jagow

On Apr 22, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Stu Beaber wd4sel@gmail.com [backbayastro] <

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 7:34 AM, Charles Jagow chuck@jagowds.com
[backbayastro] <backbayastro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

That is a very fine looking piece of work, the telescope ain’t bad either.

I’ll trade you a kind of new Obsession 18 UC for it?

What made you go with a 28” mirror? Eight more and you would have had a
full meter, and probably need an elevator of sorts to access the eyepiece.

*v/r*

*Chuck Jagow*

*President - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers <http://www.backbayastro.org/>*

*Member - Sangre Stargazers <http://sangrestargazers.skymtn.com/>*

*Rott'n Paws Observatory <http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap.htm>*

* N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512 <http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap.htm>*

*Member #1495 – Norfolk County Rifle Range <http://www.ncrr.net/>*

*From: *BBAA <backbayastro@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of BBAA <
backbayastro@yahoogroups.com>
*Date: *Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM
*To: *BBAA <backbayastro@yahoogroups.com>

On Apr 21, 2018 11:55 AM, "'Roy Diffrient' mail@farparsecs.com
[backbayastro]" <backbayastro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I have finally completed (well, mostly) a new telescope. It has been a
lot of work and a long time getting here but it’s now becoming real at
last. It’s a 28” f/3.6 (101..5” FL) visual Newtonian on an alt-az goto
mount, made mostly of aluminum. Optics are from Steve Kennedy, with a
Kennedy Optics primary and Ostahowski Optics secondary. The primary is on a
27-point separate cell with motorized collimation and truss flexure
compensation. The clutched servo drive system is by Sidereal Technology and
I’ve included wireless control. For mobility, I’ve adapted a small,
hand-cranked trailer-mover. In case of thunder the fully assembled
telescope rolls into my trailer. Plans are for it to be at ECSP in a few
weeks. Here’s hoping for clear skies.

Roy

[image: alt]

uwicb

Very impressive Roy. A wonderful project. I suspect it will rain for 40 days and 40 nights after this first light. Unfortunately I'll miss ECSP this spring. I hope to catch a peek of your masterpiece in the fall.
Cheers
Ian