Eclipse reservation

George Reynolds

I finally got around to making motel reservations for the Total Solar Eclipse.  I plan to view the eclipse in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, near the pints of greatest eclipse and of greatest duration 2 minutes 40.2 seconds.  The town of Hopkinsville is going all-out advertising for eclipse viewing, so not unexpectedly, all the motels there are booked up.  But since I have relatives near Fort Knox, that didn't bother me.  I will stay near Fort Knox in Radcliff, KY and then drive a couple of hours to get to Hopkinsville.

I have Reservations in SC, but I'm considering Casper WY or even a Royal Caribbean Cruise. The problem is I can't get a 100% guarantee the ship will be exactly on the path. The organizers say yes but there is nothing on Royal Caribbean's site that guarantees that. I think the ship makes that trip anyway, they're just altering their course off the coast of SC. With 5000 passengers it would be a hoot. My guess is most would not be eclipse chasers.

OK, with that being said, I want to tell you in all my years looking at the sun I have never seen it so devoid of any sunspots or prominences, at least for such a long stretch of time. Let's hope things pick up by August.

I really believe what I have said to several of you. We'll all be in the path of totality but don't panic for space for a place to see it. The general public wouldn't drive 20 miles to the path. I was at a picnic this weekend talking about it. NO ONE said they'd be willing to go to the totality path. Well, that's feeling; amybe I'm wrong.

I will say this, I've chased 14 total eclipses and EVERYONE who witnesses one asks, "Where's the next one."

Kent Blackwell Sound

Jeff Goldstein

Roger, that Kent!

[...]

Ted Forte

Several of my club members out here will be in Casper – we all made our reservations in August 2015. Yes, two years early.  By November 2015, rooms in Casper were hard if not impossible to get.   Some of the chains that wouldn’t make reservations more than 9 or 12 months out were sold out in minutes after opening the date. The Astronomical League convention in Casper was sold out more than a year ago.  Rooms as far away as Laramie are now going for outrageous rates.

I’ve read that this eclipse is predicted to be the most observed eclipse in history.  I know that Casper expects to be mobbed.  If the weather cooperates, I think the last minute media hype will send swarms of people to the center line.   We’ll see.

Ted

[...]

gerlach.mark

The Jarvis twins and myself will be going to Santee, SC.  It looked to me to be the closest point from VB to the line of totality.  I made my reservations on March 1 and got two nights at Rodeway Inn for 3 adults for under $120!   I expect it is considerably higher now.

  Dale told me he is going to be at a state park right outside of Santee.

George Reynolds

In Hopkinsville, KY, three of the observing sites are sold out and booked solid.  Ball fields, parks, etc.  I plan to be up the road from there, between Hopkinsville and Cerulean, setting up in a church parking lot.  They have advertised it too, and plan to have free popcorn, lemonade, and eclipse glasses.