Some interesting open cluster/ star combinations for small telescopes

jimcoble2000

I have always liked to observe small sometimes dim open clusters especially if they have a bright star involved in the cluster. These are ideal visual challenges for small telescope users. My choice of telescope is my long discontinued Televue 4 inch Genesis refractor. Last night gave me a chance to observe some of these clusters so I thought I might pass along a few that were notable:

NGC 1857 in the center of Auriga is a fun test of averted vision. The 7.4 magnitude bright star at the center of the cluster draws your eye to it, hiding the mist of the cluster when directly observed. Moving your eye away for the star using averted vision reveals the mist of dim stars surrounding the bright star. Larger scopes may lessen the fun of seeing the cluster so this is a good small scope object to hone your averted vision techniques

An easier cluster, NGC 2129, in Gemini, offers a widely spaced double star as the center for the hidden cluster. This has a striking effect. The wide double is evenly matched and resembles a pair of ghost eyes staring at you from a deep apparition. The surrounding cluster is just a ghostly haze not well resolved but seeming to materialize from deep space with penetrating eyes staring at you.

The last surprise is back in Auriga is NGC 1907. Here the  9th magnitude star is offset from the cluster. This is in the vicinity of M38.

Ted Forte

I looked at 1907 a couple of nights ago in my 10-inch.  Haven’t seen the others in ages. Not much of an open cluster fan as a rule.

Ted

[...]

Roy Diffrient

Fun & games for small scopes.  I remember seeing 1907 and 2129 long ago along with M35, 36, 37, 38 but haven’t seen them lately.  With the ghostly apparition and “eyes” 2129 would be fun for Halloween – too bad it’s not higher in the sky then, but it might still be doable.

Roy

[...]

Another favorite for Halloween is NGC 7160 in Cepheus. Right time of year too. There is a certain amount of whimsy in amateur astronomy which is why professional astronomy is such a drag, lacking it to a large extent!

As the book said, "professional astronomy is a great way to screw up a nice hobby".