Upgrading my Celestron mount and hand controller firmware.

vabeachdave

Going to ask and see if I can get some advise on updating the software in my Celestron telescope. I have a ASGT 9.25 telescope with older software in it. See attached photo.

I am told the mount firmware can be updated and the hand controller cannot be but it can be replaced. I had (Years ago) updated the motor controller firmware to the 5.06 using the MCUpdate program which i no longer have. I have ordered a new version 5 of the new hand controller which should be here in a week or so.

The telescope has older telephone type connectors on it rather than the small miniusb type of the current scopes. I have a cable I used from 12 years ago last time I upgraded it but I cannot get it to see the scope. For starters it appears that Celestron is now using a different program to update the firmware (CELESTRON FIRMWARE MANAGER). I think it is not working as it is intended to be connected to the newer hand controllers and not to the mount directly as done before.

Question 1: Is this the right software I should be using now? I cannot find a current mcupdate version. So I'm pretty sure I am supposed to be using that firmware manager program. Can anyone confirm this? before you used to have to connect directly into the mount and used the Update which I cannot seem to find. I'm assuming that's why it is not working for me now as I'm trying to use their new software and connected to the mount directly.

Question 2: If I use the new version 5 hand controller will it work with the older mount software I have enough so that i can update it? The person at Celestron technical support had no idea. He thought the version 5 HC may not function even enough to get the MC firmware updated.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

bob414

Celestron has a great site

http://wwwTeamcelestron.com

that will provide you with all the info ,newest firmware including betas and assistance if you run into trouble.  You have to join and select your interest.

Bob

Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:03 PM
To: backbayastro@...
Subject: [backbayastro] Upgrading my Celestron mount and hand controller firmware.

Going to ask and see if I can get some advise on updating the software in my Celestron telescope. I have a ASGT 9.25 telescope with older software in it. See attached photo.

I am told the mount firmware can be updated and the hand controller cannot be but it can be replaced. I had (Years ago) updated the motor controller firmware to the 5.06 using the MCUpdate program which i no longer have. I have ordered a new version 5 of the new hand controller which should be here in a week or so.

The telescope has older telephone type connectors on it rather than the small miniusb type of the current scopes. I have a cable I used from 12 years ago last time I upgraded it but I cannot get it to see the scope. For starters it appears that Celestron is now using a different program to update the firmware (CELESTRON FIRMWARE MANAGER). I think it is not working as it is intended to be connected to the newer hand controllers and not to the mount directly as done before.

Question 1: Is this the right software I should be using now? I cannot find a current mcupdate version. So I'm pretty sure I am supposed to be using that firmware manager program. Can anyone confirm this? before you used to have to connect directly into the mount and used the Update which I cannot seem to find. I'm assuming that's why it is not working for me now as I'm trying to use their new software and connected to the mount directly.

Question 2: If I use the new version 5 hand controller will it work with the older mount software I have enough so that i can update it? The person at Celestron technical support had no idea. He thought the version 5 HC may not function even enough to get the MC firmware updated.

Jim Tallman

Actually this is where you most likely want to be. Lots of info here without having to gain an account :)

http://www.nexstarsite.com/Firmware/ASGTFirmware.htm

Jim

Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:40 PM
Subject: RE: [backbayastro] Upgrading my Celestron mount and hand controller firmware.

Celestron has a great site

http://wwwTeamcelestron.com

that will provide you with all the info ,newest firmware including betas and assistance if you run into trouble.  You have to join and select your interest.

Bob

Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:03 PM
Subject: [backbayastro] Upgrading my Celestron mount and hand controller firmware.