From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Subject: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

George Reynolds

I didn't check the calculations, I just accepted them.  I too wondered about the amount of error, but then Jack had said our calcs might be way off, so that's what i submitted to him.  I don't intend to re-submit with the more accurate data.

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,
  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

Melvin Spruill

Yeah I noticed the values were way off too but it was expected there would be some error. I was going to resubmit. Do you think the older values will affect receiving the certificate?

Ciao,
Mel

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,
  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

Jim Tallman

The value really doesn’t matter folks.

READ REQ #5

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

Jim Tallman

Please do not resubmit folks. No need to do so and will bog Jack down. Just trying to get more members to attempt the measurements.

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

VegaGaze

Yes. No need to resubmit.
I ended up doing the calculations myself... because I wanted to see if I could. (Apparently I couldn't.) It's been a while since I've had a trig class.
I left the scientific calculator set at degrees instead of radians for the final equation and it through my answer off.... way off. (didn't even realize I needed to change it.)
When I submitted to Jack, he let me know that they are getting all sorts of wild answers, and they are going to be very generous with this award, because it's more about the effort than the accuracy.
Leigh Anne

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,
  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

bob414

From the head procrastinator #1.

I did not like the error from the previous spreadsheet, so I decided to look harder when I had time.  Life got in the way, so I was pleased to see the update.  Plugging in the measurements into the new spreadsheet, errors dropped to 2 or 3 % or less.  I did finally submit last night.

Bob

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

Jim Tallman

Yeah it is funny how Excel treats SINE and TAN. You actually have to do some contortions to make it work.  Regardless, I’m going to keep this sheet and work on it some more for the 2019 transit J I think it will be polished by then

Jim

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

galacticprobe

Another updated spreadsheet, granted with corrected calculation equations (which is much appreciated)... but now with a different Second Observing Site Location? (Insanity sets in.) I'll use the latest spreadsheet because of the equations, but I've already printed out and measured things on the Tololo, Chile and El Teide, Spain images. So, I'll be transferring the location and time info from those sites into the new spreadsheet (with the measurements from those images) since I've already gotten the mileage distance between those two sites, and using that for my submission.

If they really don't care how accurate the results are, then this shouldn't matter. ("What's a few thousand miles' deference among friends?" said the iceberg to the Titanic.)

Dino.

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,
  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

Jim Tallman

Well Dino, next time we will save you the insanity and constant improvements. Paper and pencil is never that confusing and you get an eraser for updates

PLEASE DO NOT SEND IN A SECOND SUBMISSION J

Jim

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

galacticprobe

I had a submission almost ready to go, but not sent in yet, when the first updated spreadsheet came out, so I transferred my info to that new one. I was just logging on to send that one in when the next updated spreadsheet came out. Once again, transferred the info to the new spreadsheet and was getting ready to send it in, but hadn't yet. Might have happened with another spreadsheet update again - sort of lost track, but still no submission yet - and then this latest spreadsheet update came out with the corrections to the equations, which I did say was much appreciated. But it was that sudden change in observing site locations that threw me a little. So...

WHILE I MAY BE A BIT ON THE SLOW SIDE FROM TIME TO TIME THANKS TO MY PAIN MEDS, I DO KNOW HOW TO READ AND HAVE SEEN ALL THE OTHER E-MAILS TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO SEND IN A SECOND SUBMISSION IF THEY'VE ALREADY SENT ONE IN.

So there's really no need to shout it at me again.

Dino.

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,
  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

Jim Tallman

Not yelling :) Just making sure you didn't have your email font set to super tiny

You did note the smiley in the "yell" right?

Sent from my not as stupid as an iPhone, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,
  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

Jim Tallman

Then again Yahoo turns it into a J For some reason

:) :)

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,
  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

bob414

Why are you whispering, I can barely hear you!

Bob

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

preciousmyprecious

Bugs Bunny Link: Looney Toons - Rabbit Fire

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

sent from my plain old laptop

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,
  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

bob414

Now you sound like Barbara Walters!

Bob

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

galacticprobe

Ah... the old Yahoo-Turns-the-smiley-into-a-J-Trick. (I could never understand what that was supposed to mean.) Well then...

As for my e-mail font setting, never worry about that; my stanky old wizzard eyes aren't that good anymore, so this is the smallest I ever have it set.

Dino.

Then again Yahoo turns it into a J For some reason

:) :)

Sent from my not as stupid as an iPhone, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Not yelling :) Just making sure you didn't have your email font set to super tiny

You did note the smiley in the "yell" right?

Sent from my not as stupid as an iPhone, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Jim Tallman

Duck season

Sent from my not as stupid as an iPhone, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "William McLean preciousmyprecious@yahoo.com [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@yahoogroups.com> Date: 5/29/16 8:47 PM (GMT-05:00) To: backbayastro@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

-------- Original message --------From: "'bob414' bob414@cox.net [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@yahoogroups.com> Date: 5/29/16 11:27 AM (GMT-05:00) To: backbayastro@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

Why are you whispering, I can barely hear you!  Bob  From: backbayastro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:backbayastro@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:02 AM
To: 'LambuLambu@aol.com' LambuLambu@aol.com [backbayastro] <backbayastro@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms    Not yelling :) Just making sure you didn't have your email font set to super tiny  You did note the smiley in the "yell" right?      Sent from my not as stupid as an iPhone, Samsung Galaxy smartphone  -------- Original message --------From: "'LambuLambu@aol.com' LambuLambu@aol.com [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@yahoogroups.com> Date: 5/28/16 12:21 AM (GMT-05:00) To: backbayastro@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms    I had a submission almost ready to go, but not sent in yet, when the first updated spreadsheet came out, so I transferred my info to that new one. I was just logging on to send that one in when the next updated spreadsheet came out. Once again, transferred the info to the new spreadsheet and was getting ready to send it in, but hadn't yet. Might have happened with another spreadsheet update again - sort of lost track, but still no submission yet - and then this latest spreadsheet update came out with the corrections to the equations, which I did say was much appreciated. But it was that sudden change in observing site locations that threw me a little. So...