Towels (was Re: Re: "Interstellar" Black Hole Math)

Jim Tallman

You all know that the reference to a towel is from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy” right? When hitch hiking you must always have your towel.

From the book

Chapter 3

A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have

Any man that can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all.

• The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.
    A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.
    Partly it has great practical value — you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marblesanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in handtohandcombat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
  • More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might have accidentally "lost.". What the strag will think is that any man that can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
  • Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 2:53 PM
To: backbayastro@...
Subject: Towels (was Re: [backbayastro] Re: "Interstellar" Black Hole Math)

Good idea!  I sometimes have a roll of paper towels in the car, but a couple of regular towels is a handy item.

George

George Reynolds

"Solar System Ambassador" for South Hampton Roads, Virginia

Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA) 
http://www.backbayastro.org

Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [backbayastro] Re: "Interstellar" Black Hole Math

I carry a bag of towels when I go to my dark site.  Most nights I need them to wipe the dew of the OTA and mount.  I don't understand why every observer doesn't carry along a bag of towels if their site is dewy.

Mike

preciousmyprecious

...well? Do you carry a towel?

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

sent from my plain old laptop

Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 5:09 PM
Subject: RE: Towels (was Re: [backbayastro] Re: "Interstellar" Black Hole Math)

You all know that the reference to a towel is from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy” right? When hitch hiking you must always have your towel.

From the book

Chapter 3

A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have

Any man that can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

• The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.
    A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.
    Partly it has great practical value — you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marblesanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in handtohandcombat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
  • More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might have accidentally "lost.". What the strag will think is that any man that can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
  • Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

Good idea!  I sometimes have a roll of paper towels in the car, but a couple of regular towels is a handy item.

George

George Reynolds

I carry a bag of towels when I go to my dark site.  Most nights I need them to wipe the dew of the OTA and mount.  I don't understand why every observer doesn't carry along a bag of towels if their site is dewy.

Mike

bob414

Repeat your last, my babble fish fell out of my ear and I had to put it back in.

Bob

Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 5:34 PM
Subject: Re: Towels (was Re: [backbayastro] Re: "Interstellar" Black Hole Math)

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

From: "'Jim Tallman' jctallman@... [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@...>

From the book

Chapter 3

George

George Reynolds

Mike

Jim Tallman

Every time I go hitch hiking :)

Jim

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

From the book

Chapter 3

George

George Reynolds

Mike

Jim Tallman

Hmmm.. maybe we need a special showing of The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy” at a meeting. Maybe just the Towel part and the lead up to that part :)

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:05 AM

Jim

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

From the book

Chapter 3

George

George Reynolds

Mike

George Reynolds

I've read the books, but I never saw the movie.

George

George Reynolds

Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:03 AM

Hmmm.. maybe we need a special showing of The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy” at a meeting. Maybe just the Towel part and the lead up to that part :)

Jim

Jim

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

From the book

Chapter 3

George

George Reynolds

Mike

preciousmyprecious

smile!

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Jim

Jim

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

From the book

Chapter 3

George

George Reynolds

Mike

preciousmyprecious

Mee too! Book, no flick

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

To: "backbayastro@..."
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:36 AM

George

George Reynolds

Jim

Jim

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

From the book

Chapter 3

George

George Reynolds

Mike

galacticprobe

Anyone ever see the '70s TV series? (And if you have, did you notice the original TV Marvin making a cameo appearance in the overcrowded Vogon waiting room in the film?)

Dino.

-----Original Message-----
From: William McLean preciousmyprecious@... [backbayastro]
To: backbayastro
Sent: Tue, Nov 18, 2014 10:13 am

Mee too! Book, no flick

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

From: "George Reynolds pathfinder027@... [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@...>
To: "backbayastro@..." <backbayastro@...>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:36 AM

George

George Reynolds

Jim

Jim

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

From the book

Chapter 3

George

George Reynolds

Mike

galacticprobe

Something else for everyone to celebrate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day
http://www.towel-day.com/en/

Dino.

To: backbayastro
Sent: Tue, Nov 18, 2014 7:03 am

Jim

Jim

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

bob414

Looks like some Bistro Mathematics to me.  Is that the solution to the improbability drive?

Bob

Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:28 AM

Something else for everyone to celebrate:

Dino.

From: 'Jim Tallman' jctallman@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...>
To: backbayastro <backbayastro@...>
Sent: Tue, Nov 18, 2014 7:03 am

Jim

Jim

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean