B O O M. WATCHED ON MY IPHONE!
v/r
Chuck Jagow
NCRR #1495 & Newsletter Editor
Treasurer - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers
Rott'n Paws Observatory
N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Stu Beaber' wd4sel@gmail.com [backbayastro] [mailto:backbayastro@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 07:33 PM
To: backbayastro@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [backbayastro] Launch

6 seconds into flight, rockets explodes...

Nick Anderson

Not good at all! It had nearly 5000 lbs of cargo intended for the ISS!!!
[ISS] Antares Fails to Reach Orbit with Cygnus CRS-3 after Rocket Explodes

Clear skies and good seeing,

-Nick Anderson

President
Astronomy Club of Virginia Tech

---In backbayastro@..., <wd4sel@...> wrote :

Stu Beaber

RapidEye

I was streaming it on my computer so I could go watch it.
Once it cleared the gantry, I grabbed my binox and headed for the pasture.
I waited... waited... checked my watch... waited... then gave up figuring that the clouds were worse than I expected.
GULP, guess I was wrong about the clouds!
Wow!

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM, 'Stu Beaber' wd4sel@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

VegaGaze

My family and I were at Fort Story.  We saw the horizon toward Wallops glow orange, but never saw the rocket take off.  We thought at first that the cloud cover toward wallops was too heavy, but then we were informed what happened.  Holy cow. My daughter told me she would rethink her plans of being the first person on Mars. :(

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:46 PM, "RapidEye RapidEye.US@... [backbayastro]" wrote:

I was streaming it on my computer so I could go watch it.
Once it cleared the gantry, I grabbed my binox and headed for the pasture.
I waited... waited... checked my watch... waited... then gave up figuring that the clouds were worse than I expected.
GULP, guess I was wrong about the clouds!
Wow!

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM, 'Stu Beaber' wd4sel@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

galacticprobe

Yeah... watched it live on NASA TV! Once I saw that rocket motor start to flare I had just enough time to think it, and by the time I said it, a mushroom cloud was forming. Sad.

Dino.

To: backbayastro
Sent: Tue, Oct 28, 2014 6:33 pm
Subject: [backbayastro] Launch

jfrech14@...

It really is a tragedy. It's a huge step back because people were starting to get into space flight again since things were going really well. Now people are going to be terrified of space flight. I mean it is a scary thing but it is necessary so I fear that it took a big hit with the general public yesterday. Not to mention we will see if orbital sciences lose their 1.9 billion dollar contract! Where they lose, spaceX will probably gain. I remember standing outside ODU looking for it when the launch was scrubbed then I forgot about it yesterday but heard not 2 minutes after the explosion about it(I was in the physics building so lots were watching). Good thing it wasn't manned! Wondering what happened. If it were a fuel leak I feel like it would have blown up in the air rather than just a bit of an explosion since the fuel tank was full. Possible that it wasn't up to temperature properly.. Who knows. That thing blew to kingdom come. That will be quite the csi scene.

Josh

RapidEye

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:18 AM, jfrech14@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:
That will be quite the csi scene.

So on the news this morning, they stated that there was classified payload onboard and the entire scene was off limits until they could determine that the classified items were in fact destroyed.  Hard to believe anything could have survived that explosion.

galacticprobe

Trust me: after dealing with military and some cryptographic items for two-thirds of my career, even the smallest light bulb has to be totally destroyed for the government to be satisfied. If they find one melted, charred, cracked bit of crypto equipment in that wreckage (or would that be carnage?), they'll smash it to powder before declaring the site "clean".

Dino.

To: Backbay Group
Sent: Wed, Oct 29, 2014 8:29 am
Subject: Re: [backbayastro] Launch

So on the news this morning, they stated that there was classified payload onboard and the entire scene was off limits until they could determine that the classified items were in fact destroyed.  Hard to believe anything could have survived that explosion.