From: backbayastro@... [mailto:backbayastro@...]
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2014 3:34 PM
To: backbayastro@...
Subject: [backbayastro] Horizons at ECSP

Hey East Coast Star Party fans!

Does anyone have any insight into the clear-horizons at the observing field? I'm making an imaging plan for the event and am curious what directions are best. Any guesstimates of the altitude of the tree line, especially toward the south (galactic center above Sagittarius)?

Thanks for any info and I'll see you there!

Jason

Kent Blackwell

In the main observing area about 25°of the horizon is obscured. I kind of like that though because it hides distant light domes. But if you desire more southern horizon you can try imagers row, as some call it. I will post a notice in the campground store for campers not to ride their golf carts at night through our area but occasionally it might occur. Politely ask then to turn off bright lights. It's their campground so lets be respectful. Newcomers will have a good time at ECSP. Those whom have been before will attest to that. For many seasoned star party goers it it was their first indoctrination to star parties. Others are certainly bigger but most aren't as fun. Favorable weather or not I shall try to make certain we all have a good time just being together. Thank you, Kent Blackwell

Jason Tackett

Thank you for the information, Kent and Bob. Sounds like a great time! I'll give imagers row a shot for those southern skies the first night. See you there.

Best,
Jason

RapidEye

You forgot to add that we can easily see Omega Saywhaaaaat from pretty much anywhere in the cedars on every cloudy night =-)
<RE>

PS - and I'm not going to say you can't go hungry at the ECSP, but you'll have to go out of your way to try!

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 11:06 PM, kent@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

In the main observing area about 25°of the horizon is obscured. I kind of like that though because it hides distant light domes. But if you desire more southern horizon you can try imagers row, as some call it. I will post a notice in the campground store for campers not to ride their golf carts at night through our area but occasionally it might occur. Politely ask then to turn off bright lights. It's their campground so lets be respectful. Newcomers will have a good time at ECSP. Those whom have been before will attest to that. For many seasoned star party goers it it was their first indoctrination to star parties. Others are certainly bigger but most aren't as fun. Favorable weather or not I shall try to make certain we all have a good time just being together. Thank you, Kent Blackwell

Kent Blackwell

Right you are!