Comet Panstars Thursday night.

jimcoble2000

Kent, Stan, and I had a great time with the comet again. Kent was able to capture photos and the comet was easy naked eye. This has been the best in 15 years or so I think. Holmes was the most unique but a good old fashioned comets is nice to have. After that Kent and I continued to observe dim galaxies in Hydra, Leo and the upper Ursa Major. If you miss Panstars all you have to do is wait 106,000 years for the return trip.

Paul

Thanks for sharing, Mark.

I agree that PanStarrs was easy naked eye tonight. I had fun at Huntington Beach showing it to some of the folks who stopped by. Most of the people were able to see it with the unaided eye. It was still subtle, but unmistakable, making it easy to point the scope right to it. It was the first view I had of it in my 8" dob.

I took care to notice the uneven brightening in the tail thanks to Kent's comment earlier today. Appreciate it, Kent!

What a beauty of a night!  The James River added to the allure. I followed the comet all the way down to the horizon. Afterwards we observed the Moon, which was an absolute stunner tonight as well. The view in my low power eyepiece got many exclamations from the crowd that gathered around my scope. They were amazed at how many features were visible on the "dark side" due to the abundant Earthshine.

I pointed out M42, Jupiter, and the Pleiades. One man who has a scope of his own and is progressing in the hobby was excited to see the Double Cluster for the first time.  I loved his comment when I showed him my cherished favorite, M35... "I couldn't count all those stars if I tried!"  Amen brother!

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Kent, Stan, and I had a great time with the comet again. Kent was able to capture photos and the comet was easy naked eye. This has been the best in 15 years or so I think. Holmes was the most unique but a good old fashioned comets is nice to have. After that Kent and I continued to observe dim galaxies in Hydra, Leo and the upper Ursa Major. If you miss Panstars all you have to do is wait 106,000 years for the return trip.

bob414

Paul

Bird and I were there at Huntington park also,  I was set up next to the end of the beach next to “The Crab Shack”.  Bird showed up after I had setup, but did not see me until he was almost set up.  We were about 75yd apart, were did you set up?  Sorry we missed you.  Did you see the pictures on my last email that Kathy took?  Saw the comet again in binoculars and nekid eye, averted vision.

Bob

[...]

preciousmyprecious

That's funny, you were there but didn't know each other was there.
I also see how you guys operate: the night I went no one else showed up. hmmm. More cookies, I guess.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

[...]

Bob who is Kathy?

She just set a camera on a tripod and opened the shutter for 3.5 sec and got pics like these?? Beautiful!!

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

[...]

I set up by the boat ramp.  I am not that familiar with Huntington Beach and thought you could not get back by the beach after dark. Plus I saw a bunch of folks by the boat ramp.  I really thought I'd see some VPAS folks, but none were by the boat ramp (although some of the folks had heard of us).

Too bad it did not work out when you were there, Bill. I kind of went to HB as an afterthought. I had an appointment in Oyster Point until 730p, and brought my scope just in case.  I went to the Lion's Bridge first, but no one was there (I mean no one) and I was afraid of getting kicked out in the middle of observing. So I kept going down Warwick to HB.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM, William McLean <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

[...]

Kathy is just a lady I met for the first time last night, and was a very good astrobuddy.  I was looking too far to the north to see the comet.  She correct that and we shared view of the comet on my 20X80 binoculars.  She has a pair of binocular also, but after a while she showed up and shared her pictures on a nice SLR camera and lens setup.  I asked if she would send them to me and you know the rest.  She was very friendly and I hope we can shared skies together in the future.

Bob