From: nranderson_deepskyobserver
To: backbayastro@...
Sent: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:50 AM
Subject: [backbayastro] Ocracoke Island

As I will be back in the area for two weeks before fall semester starts, I'm going with family for several days to Ocracoke Island, a remote area in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I will have my telescope with me and I'm planning to do some serious astronomy (hopefully the weather will cooperate). According to a light pollution map, the area is in a gray zone (Bortle class 2), which would be even darker than my rural observing site in Bland County! Has anyone here observed at Ocracoke Island before? Know of a specific place to observe on the island?

This will be my first time ever visiting the island, which is interesting because part of my lineage traces back to there. Ocracoke Island was a favorite anchorage of the notorious pirate, Blackbeard, and was also the location of his death. Through one of my great-grandparents, It is quite probable that I am actually related to one of Blackbeard's subordinates, William Howard. I don't know too much about my family's history there, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot more while I'm there.

-Nick Anderson

Nick Anderson

Noted: bring bug spray and reapply frequently. But do bugs really want pirate's blood though?

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@..., Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

you may be doing some serious bug feeding.

________________________________
[...]

jimcoble2000

I have seen Cedar Island, south of Ocracoke, and it is very dark but the bugs make it impossible in the summer. I would only go there in the dead of winter. Ocracoke may be a bit further from the mainland marshes but usually the outer banks are noted for a lot of bugs. Wooded areas are absolutely impossible during the daylight as biting flies are fearsome. The Oceanfront a bit better though for flies. Nice island though. One of the last islands unscrewed up by development unless you count the real southern islands which are pretty much uninhabited.

Barrier Islands were my specialty in school and I enjoyed going out there. I have not been to Nags Head or Hatteras in a long time as it is too discouraging seeing how North Carolina is mismanaging the banks so badly. Since the state...er developers... decided they did not like sea level rise, (scares off suckers looking for land), they just outlawed sea level rise in North Carolina. A new and novel solution from the midgets in government.

[...]

Well at least at Cedar Island (known as skeeter island to the locals) there is seriously not enough bug spray on the planet to survive. You would choke inhaling them. Hope your island is better.

Noted: bring bug spray and reapply frequently. But do bugs really want pirate's blood though?

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@..., Mark Ost >
> you may be doing some serious bug feeding.
>

> ________________________________

Jim Tallman

Why will there be a pirate observing with you Nick?

Noted: bring bug spray and reapply frequently. But do bugs really want pirate's blood though?

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@..., Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

> you may be doing some serious bug feeding.
>

> ________________________________

Nick Anderson

It's in my blood. (see the original post)

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@... <mailto:backbayastro%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

*Arrrr...it be in me blood!

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@..., "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

[...]

bob414

Maybe the skeeters will suck it out!

Bob B

> It's in my blood. (see the original post)
>
> -Nick Anderson
>
> --- In backbayastro@..., "Jim Tallman" wrote:
> >
> > Why will there be a pirate observing with you Nick?

wd4sel <wd4sel@...>

Hope there aren't any outstanding warrants for William Howard...or decendents of...

Have fun,
Stu

[...]

do they hang descendants of the accused?

--- In backbayastro@..., "nranderson_deepskyobserver" wrote:

> *Arrrr...it be in me blood!
>
> -Nick Anderson
>
> --- In backbayastro@..., "nranderson_deepskyobserver" wrote:
> >
> > It's in my blood. (see the original post)
> >
> > -Nick Anderson
> >
> > --- In backbayastro@..., "Jim Tallman" wrote:
> > >
> > > Why will there be a pirate observing with you Nick?

Nick Anderson

He was in fact sentenced to be hanged, but was later pardoned. I think I'm cleared in that regard (unless there are some vengeful residents!).

[...]

Not to mention unpaid taxes!

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@..., "wd4sel" <wd4sel@...> wrote:

[...]

Better get a differnt hat then :)

[...]

Robert Schonk

Nick,

I'm in Avon on Hatteras Island.  Don't know about observation sites on Ocracoke, but plenty of good ones here.  One of the best is my front yard in off season, but we're innundated with tourons right now.  They regularly spray for mosquitos, so depending on rainfall and wind direction, they may or may not be a problem.

If you're looking for a place to crash down here, I've got a couple of spare bedrooms, depending on which family members are visiting.

PM me at robschonk@..., and maybe we can work something out.

Rob

> To: backbayastro@...
> From: nranderson.deepskyobserver@...
> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 06:50:08 +0000
> Subject: [backbayastro] Ocracoke Island
>
> As I will be back in the area for two weeks before fall semester starts, I'm going with family for several days to Ocracoke Island, a remote area in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I will have my telescope with me and I'm planning to do some serious astronomy (hopefully the weather will cooperate). According to a light pollution map, the area is in a gray zone (Bortle class 2), which would be even darker than my rural observing site in Bland County! Has anyone here observed at Ocracoke Island before? Know of a specific place to observe on the island?
>
> This will be my first time ever visiting the island, which is interesting because part of my lineage traces back to there. Ocracoke Island was a favorite anchorage of the notorious pirate, Blackbeard, and was also the location of his death. Through one of my great-grandparents, It is quite probable that I am actually related to one of Blackbeard's subordinates, William Howard. I don't know too much about my family's history there, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot more while I'm there.
>
> -Nick Anderson

> <*> Your email settings:
> Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
> (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
> backbayastro-digest@...
> backbayastro-fullfeatured@...

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

kloster12000

I've camped at Oregon Inlet Campground Whic is a state park run campground (Which was particularly dark even on the park grounds). I brought my small reractor with me and was really happy as it was portable enought to even go walk behind the dunes and ensure no passing car lights disturbed my view. This was about 5 years ago in the summer.

Regards
Mike Klosterman

From: nranderson.deepskyobserver@...
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 06:50:08 +0000