Help

charles jagow

I bought a used Autostar 497 hand controller off of the Internet. It seems to have a problem. It could be the attached cable, it looks a little rough. I would like to know if anyone has a Meade Autostar 497 hand control and cable I could use to see if it actually works on my ETX 70. The Autostar 494 hand controller works just fine. With this Autostar 497 I encounter a motor fault after it starts to slew to the first alignment star. Like I stated, it slews just fine with the Autostar 494, so I know there is nothing wrong with the ETX 70.

V/R

Chuck Jagow

Jeff Goldstein

I have one for my ETX-125.

If I look around I may find another for an old ETX-70 also, Chuck.

I’ll give you a call, tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Jeff Goldstein

www.jeffgold.net

NAR #81619 L3

TRA#04764 L3

I bought a used Autostar 497 hand controller off of the Internet. It seems to have a problem. It could be the attached cable, it looks a little rough. I would like to know if anyone has a Meade Autostar 497 hand control and cable I could use to see if it actually works on my ETX 70. The Autostar 494 hand controller works just fine. With this Autostar 497 I encounter a motor fault after it starts to slew to the first alignment star. Like I stated, it slews just fine with the Autostar 494, so I know there is nothing wrong with the ETX 70.

V/R

Chuck Jagow

wd4sel <wd4sel@...>

Chuck...I just put a photo of a handbox in the photo section that I had laying on the shelf. I don't know what it fits...a LX200 or if it is a 497. It looks like it has never been used...I don't even know if it works or not...I have no Meade outfits to test with. Maybe you can ID it...

Regards,
Stu

--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <chuck@...> wrote:

I bought a used Autostar 497 hand controller off of the Internet. It seems to have a problem. It could be the attached cable, it looks a little rough. I would like to know if anyone has a Meade Autostar 497 hand control and cable I could use to see if it actually works on my ETX 70. The Autostar 494 hand controller works just fine. With this Autostar 497 I encounter a motor fault after it starts to slew to the first alignment star. Like I stated, it slews just fine with the Autostar 494, so I know there is nothing wrong with the ETX 70.

V/R

I could be wrong, but I think a 497 has a full keypad, 1-9 key + 0.  A 494 has only a set of up/down/left right arrows.  Is this handset is a 497, I would be interested in purchasing it for my ETX60, if the price is right.

Bob

--- In backbayastro@..., "Chuck" <chuck@...> wrote:

> I bought a used Autostar 497 hand controller off of the Internet. It seems to have a problem. It could be the attached cable, it looks a little rough. I would like to know if anyone has a Meade Autostar 497 hand control and cable I could use to see if it actually works on my ETX 70. The Autostar 494 hand controller works just fine. With this Autostar 497 I encounter a motor fault after it starts to slew to the first alignment star. Like I stated, it slews just fine with the Autostar 494, so I know there is nothing wrong with the ETX 70.
>
> V/R
>
> Chuck Jagow

wd4sel <wd4sel@...>

I can't really remember where it came from...I've had several LX200s and several LXD75...so it could be from anyone of those. I don't know if it even works...I sold one to Jim Tallman awhile back. You would have to plug it in to find out I guess.

One thing for sure...it don't fit anything I got now. If it works...any reasonable offer would be acceptable. I've also had 494s...it's not one of those.

Regards,
Stu

--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:backbayastro%40yahoogroups.com>
, "Chuck" <chuck@> wrote:

I bought a used Autostar 497 hand controller off of the Internet. It seems
to have a problem. It could be the attached cable, it looks a little rough.
I would like to know if anyone has a Meade Autostar 497 hand control and
cable I could use to see if it actually works on my ETX 70. The Autostar 494
hand controller works just fine. With this Autostar 497 I encounter a motor
fault after it starts to slew to the first alignment star. Like I stated, it
slews just fine with the Autostar 494, so I know there is nothing wrong with
the ETX 70.

V/R

Jeff are you going to Boardwalk astronomy on Tuesday night?

If so I can bring the little beast and check it out there?

Chuck Jagow
Rott'n Paws Observatory
N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512

I bought a used Autostar 497 hand controller off of the Internet. It seems to have a problem. It could be the attached cable, it looks a little rough. I would like to know if anyone has a Meade Autostar 497 hand control and cable I could use to see if it actually works on my ETX 70. The Autostar 494 hand controller works just fine. With this Autostar 497 I encounter a motor fault after it starts to slew to the first alignment star. Like I stated, it slews just fine with the Autostar 494, so I know there is nothing wrong with the ETX 70.

V/R

Stu,

It is a 497 if you don't need it anymore, how much you want for it?

Chuck Jagow
Rott'n Paws Observatory
N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512

From: wd4sel <wd4sel@...>
Date: Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:57 PM
To: <backbayastro@...>

--- In backbayastro@..., "Chuck" wrote:

> I bought a used Autostar 497 hand controller off of the Internet. It seems to have a problem. It could be the attached cable, it looks a little rough. I would like to know if anyone has a Meade Autostar 497 hand control and cable I could use to see if it actually works on my ETX 70. The Autostar 494 hand controller works just fine. With this Autostar 497 I encounter a motor fault after it starts to slew to the first alignment star. Like I stated, it slews just fine with the Autostar 494, so I know there is nothing wrong with the ETX 70.
>
> V/R
>
> Chuck Jagow

bob414

I have seen them on EBay for everywhere between $12 and (new) $150, give me a price and we can work out the details.

Bob

--- In backbayastro@..., "bob414" <bob414@...> wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I think a 497 has a full keypad, 1-9 key + 0. A 494
> has only a set of up/down/left right arrows. Is this handset is a 497, I
> would be interested in purchasing it for my ETX60, if the price is right.
>

> Bob

wd4sel <wd4sel@...>

Bob, Chuck inquired about buying it first and I've give him a price off line (direct) already...I'm just waiting for his response.

Thks,
Stu

--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, "bob414" <bob414@...> wrote:

I have seen them on EBay for everywhere between $12 and (new) $150, give me
a price and we can work out the details.

Bob

ctcv0811

When you first hook up the 497 to a scope you have to go through the set up and tell it you are using a etx 70 and then do a motor alignment that should take care of the problem you are having. If you have done that then you may need to update the firm ware in the 497 controller it easy to do if you have the right cable to do it. I dont member the part number for the cable but I know they are sold on eBay fairly cheap.

--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <chuck@...> wrote:

I bought a used Autostar 497 hand controller off of the Internet. It seems to have a problem. It could be the attached cable, it looks a little rough. I would like to know if anyone has a Meade Autostar 497 hand control and cable I could use to see if it actually works on my ETX 70. The Autostar 494 hand controller works just fine. With this Autostar 497 I encounter a motor fault after it starts to slew to the first alignment star. Like I stated, it slews just fine with the Autostar 494, so I know there is nothing wrong with the ETX 70.

V/R

I am confused, I expressed interest when I tried to defined the difference between a 494 and 497.  I did not see Chuck expressed interest till the next day.  But, it is your handset, and your choice.

Bob

Bob, Chuck inquired about buying it first and I've give him a price off line (direct) already...I'm just waiting for his response.

Thks,
Stu

--- In backbayastro@..., "bob414" <bob414@...> wrote:

> I have seen them on EBay for everywhere between $12 and (new) $150, give me
> a price and we can work out the details.
>

> Bob

wd4sel <wd4sel@...>

Well Bob, I suppose you did...sorta...however I miss read your e-mail as trying to explain the differences in the hand boxs.

I did however respond by saying that any reasonable offer would be fine...and I got none. This morning at "O dark thirty" Chuck outright asked me what I wanted for it and I responded off line with a price.

My apology is extended for miss reading your statement. I suppose i being too technical about this process and seem to get screwed up the last couple times out.

So here's the deal...I've already sold one for $25 (as memory serves)here in the group and this one is $25...First "I'll take it" gets it. I don't know if it works or not and would recommend plugging it in first. If it don't work...then no deal!

That's the best I can do.

, "bob414" <bob414@> wrote:

I have seen them on EBay for everywhere between $12 and (new) $150, give
me
a price and we can work out the details.

Bob

charles jagow

Thanks for the info, I have had "extensive" experience with Autostar 49x controllers and their associated ETX scopes and I have been through all of those actions. Motor still has a fault/stall. And it is not the scope. It seems Stu is going to help me out this evening.

Rott?n Paws Observatory
36:46:23N / 76:13:31W