IC 5146 (Cocoon Nebula)

Nick Anderson

I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?

I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.

-Nick Anderson

Roy Diffrient

Yes, I've seen it without an H-beta filter, but just barely, in my 18" f/4.5 with a UHC filter and good conditions in my mag 5 sky (SQM 20.0). My OIII filter did not help at all, and the H-beta didn't help much either. This is a real toughie for an 8". Good luck, and let us know your results.

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?

I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.

-Nick Anderson

Nick Anderson

Ok it sounds like I'll have to depend on seeing it either with my broadband filter or *gasp* unfiltered as I don't have a UHC filter. Because the broadband filter doesn't cut out the H-beta emission line, I'm hoping that it will suffice and still increase the contrast. It's worked wonders for several objects, especially the Iris Nebula.

-Nick Anderson

On Jun 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?

I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.

-Nick Anderson

I agree with that filter choice, given no UHC. Just to clarify, with my scope & skies, the OIII made IC5146 invisible, it was minimally visible with the H beta, and the UHC provided the best view. The long dark lane leading to the nebula is not visible here, only the very faint ghostly circular patch of the nebula. But if you can see that dark lane you can use it to help you find the nebula. I think the best view was at about 150X.

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 14, 2012, at 12:37 AM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Roy, I don't know. Has anybody ever seem that dark lane? Kent or Ted?

On Jun 14, 2012, at 12:37 AM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

> Ok it sounds like I'll have to depend on seeing it either with my broadband filter or *gasp* unfiltered as I don't have a UHC filter. Because the broadband filter doesn't cut out the H-beta emission line, I'm hoping that it will suffice and still increase the contrast. It's worked wonders for several objects, especially the Iris Nebula.
>
> -Nick Anderson
>
> --- In backbayastro@..., Roy Diffrient wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I've seen it without an H-beta filter, but just barely, in my 18" f/4.5 with a UHC filter and good conditions in my mag 5 sky (SQM 20.0). My OIII filter did not help at all, and the H-beta didn't help much either. This is a real toughie for an 8". Good luck, and let us know your results.
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> Sent from my iPod
>>
>> On Jun 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?
>>>
>>> I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.
>>>
>>> -Nick Anderson

Nick Anderson

For reference, the dark lane is also known as B168. It happens to be one of the required items for the AL's Dark Nebulae Program. It looks like it's a newer observing program though; no BBAA members (not even Ted) have completed this one yet.

I wonder which will be easier: the Cocoon or the dark nebula around it?

-Nick Anderson

________________________________
[...]

preciousmyprecious

Oh, oh, do I detect another AL program you are working on?

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

--- In backbayastro@..., Mark Ost wrote:

> Roy, I don't know. Has anybody ever seem that dark lane? Kent or Ted?
>

> ________________________________

That's a great target for Ted.  My other friend in AZ tells me that the dark lane is as obvious as the moon out there!

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 14, 2012, at 6:54 AM, Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Roy, I don't know. Has anybody ever seem that dark lane? Kent or Ted?

I agree with that filter choice, given no UHC. Just to clarify, with my scope & skies, the OIII made IC5146 invisible, it was minimally visible with the H beta, and the UHC provided the best view. The long dark lane leading to the nebula is not visible here, only the very faint ghostly circular patch of the nebula. But if you can see that dark lane you can use it to help you find the nebula. I think the best view was at about 150X.

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 14, 2012, at 12:37 AM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

> Ok it sounds like I'll have to depend on seeing it either with my broadband filter or *gasp* unfiltered as I don't have a UHC filter. Because the broadband filter doesn't cut out the H-beta emission line, I'm hoping that it will suffice and still increase the contrast. It's worked wonders for several objects, especially the Iris Nebula.
>
> -Nick Anderson
>
> --- In backbayastro@..., Roy Diffrient wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I've seen it without an H-beta filter, but just barely, in my 18" f/4.5 with a UHC filter and good conditions in my mag 5 sky (SQM 20.0). My OIII filter did not help at all, and the H-beta didn't help much either. This is a real toughie for an 8". Good luck, and let us know your results.
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> Sent from my iPod
>>
>> On Jun 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?
>>>
>>> I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.
>>>
>>> -Nick Anderson

Nick Anderson

Haha...you would be right in saying that I've considered it. I've got my plate full with the 3 that I'm actively working on. Add the PN and DS Programs to that this month and I think I'll be kept busy this year! Once I get astronomy binoculars, add the Lunar, Binocular Messier, and Binocular DS Programs. Then I'll probably go for the Urban Observing Program once I'm about finished with those. Oh wait, I forgot about the Sunspotters Program once I get a solar filter too!

I've got 313 Herschel objects to go and I'm still targeting December as my finish date. I've planned it out so I can do it, but it will take a lot of time and effort. I'm working on the Herschel galaxies in Leo and Virgo right now, but I think I'll bypass the heart of the Virgo Cluster until November. That's something I'd rather spend an entire 3-hour observation on than just the small time window I have in the evening right now. Plus that gives me more time to plan how I want to hunt it down.

I actually may get 70 Caldwells ahead of schedule this weekend. I only need 13 more and there are coincidentally 13 that I'm willing to observe this weekend. Plus there are 2 bonus clusters in Ara if I want to try them. We'll see what happens!

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, William McLean <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

[...]

Have you ever seen the Cocoon Nebula before Mark?

[...]

garry_mitchell74

Where is the site at?  I love to go and see the cave one more time.  I have seen it with my H-Beta filter and it was interesting to say the least.  When I saw the cave I could only barely make out the top of the cave opening only.  That was a 12" LX200.  What I want to bag is Centurus A I did saw omega Centuri.  Hope this helps.

Garry Mitchell

On Jun 13, 2012, at 8:25 PM, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Yes, I've seen it without an H-beta filter, but just barely, in my 18" f/4.5 with a UHC filter and good conditions in my mag 5 sky (SQM 20.0). My OIII filter did not help at all, and the H-beta didn't help much either. This is a real toughie for an 8". Good luck, and let us know your results.

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

> I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?
>
> I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.
>
> -Nick Anderson

=

Nick Anderson

The site is a relative's farm in Bland County bordering Wythe County, about an hour away from Blacksburg. The entire area is rural so as long as I'm away from any neighbor's lights, then I should be fine. I'm planning to drive up to the top of the nearby mountain to get a clear view of the southern horizon. There's an outlook called "Big Walker Lookout" that I've set up next to before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Walker_Lookout

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, Garry Mitchell <garry_mitchell74@...> wrote:

Where is the site at? I love to go and see the cave one more time. I have seen it with my H-Beta filter and it was interesting to say the least. When I saw the cave I could only barely make out the top of the cave opening only. That was a 12" LX200. What I want to bag is Centurus A I did saw omega Centuri. Hope this helps.

Garry Mitchell

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

Would you want to go there sometime? I'd have to okay it with my relatives first, but I could ask when I see them this weekend. I've started to make it a habit to go there on a weekend once a month near the New Moon.

Bland County would be about a 6-hour drive from Virginia Beach. Of course there are darker sites that are closer to Hampton Roads. Coinjock is almost as good as this site.