Re: Planetary Nebulae

Ted Forte

It never rains, but man, it pours!

Next to the fire danger, it’s the biggest challenge to living here. To get out of my neighborhood  I have to cross two arroyos that cut across our primitive dirt road – the only access in or out of my area.  My neighbors just to my north have to cross three. It’s not unusual to have the road become completely impassible, for several hours (days if the road collapses) a couple of times during monsoon.  We’ve clocked debris in the wash traveling about 40mph and estimate a depth of 4 to 5 feet in the center of the larger wash when it is in full flood.  It’s most dangerous, however, when its shallow enough to tempt a crossing. Two of the three washes have claimed lives, from people attempting to drive through. We own and maintain our own roads – the 60 or so families up here comprise a road maintenance district. When the road collapses, or fills with debris, we are on our own to fix it.

Rural Arizona ain’t for sissies.

Ted

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of George Reynolds via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 12:58 PM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] Planetary Nebulae

I didn't know you got rain in Arizona.  I picture it as desert.

George

George Reynolds

"Solar System Ambassador" for South Hampton Roads, Virginia

Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA) 
http://www.backbayastro.org

On Wednesday, May 18, 2022, 12:46:27 PM EDT, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Thanks Chuck!

Of course in my area, one can only appreciate the irony. A whole article about summer globulars from a place where summer observing is mostly non-existent. I can write the daily forecast for everyday from the last week in June to the first week in September right now: “cloudy with a significant chance of rain”.  Of course that’s better than holding your breath for three months praying not to burn.  March to June, we have HOT, DRY, and WINDY perfect fire weather.

Ted

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of charles jagow
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 5:47 AM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Planetary Nebulae

Great Article Master Ted!

--

v/r

v/r

Chuck Jagow

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Join BackBayAstro@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.