Re: Comet filtet

Kent Blackwell

I couldn't open the link you referenced. I have found the Lumicon comet filter is practically useless for most comets so I wouldn't consider it a necessity. I happened to stumble on its use for revealing detail with the cloud belts of Jupiter. What is did was hold all my various color filters between my eye and the eyepiece just to be able to quickly "A-B" the different filters. I was shocked to find the comet filter was even better than my previous reference filter for Jupiter, a Wratten 58A. Be aware both filters turn Jupiter "green" but that's what make the reddish belts stand out so beautifully. I hope this helps a bit.

Kent B