Sunday night casual observing

Kent Blackwell

Edited

Carbon stars, double stars, and planets, OH MY! That’s what I saw and more last night observing in my backyard with the 25”. The 25” is what we call a “light bucket”, not expecting much in revealing planetary detail. But we’ve had stunning seeing  lately. On Saturn I saw Cassini’s Division, The Crepe Ring and no less that 5 moons. I watched Io go beind the planet Jupiter. The Great Red Spot transit and Europa slip in front of Jupiter. I’m still overwhelmed at how well the Lumicon Comet filter helps seeing intricate detail in the belt system.

Messier 15

(Globular Cluster in Pegasus)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:14:14 PM

Comment: Despite a full moon night M 15 appeared bright and cleanly resolved

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Saturn

(Planet in Capricornus)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:14:24 PM

Comment: Saturn looked amazing, as always. Cassini's Division and the Crepe Ring easily seen. The 12mm Tele Vue Radian was even better! Moons visible were Dione Enceladus (faintest) Tethys Titan and Rhea.

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Jupiter

(Planet in Capricornus)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:14:29 PM

Comment: The best eyepiece for Jupiter and Saturn is the 14mm and 8mm Tele Vue Radian. Also the Lumicon Comet filter shows incredible belt details of Jupiter

Io about to egressing behind Jupiter. Io disappeared at precisely 8:30 pm.

The GRS was just beginning to cross.

By 10:30 Europa was ingressing in front of Jupiter and the GRS was headed to the western union limb.

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Messier 2

(Globular Cluster in Aquarius)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:35:56 PM

Comment: Even with a full moon M 2 was resolved cleanly

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 127mm F/6 Intes MN 56, 5mm Pentax

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Epsilon Equulei

(Double Star in Equuleus)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:37:51 PM

Comment: Bright blue-white primary and an orange secondary

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

12 Aquarii

(Double Star in Aquarius)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:48:31 PM

Comment: 2.5"

5.6 & 7.1 magnitude

Pure white primary and a pale orange secondary

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 8

55 Piscium

(Double Star in Pisces)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:14:33 PM

Comment: Orange primary and a pale blue secondary

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

HD 2423

(Star in Pisces)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:15:55 PM

Comment: Deep red carbon star 482 times more luminous than the sun

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

HD 2779

(Star in Pisces)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:17:34 PM

Comment: Orange-red super giant red star

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

55 Piscium

(Double Star in Pisces)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:18:37 PM

Comment: 6.5"

Yellow-orange primary and a deep blue secondary

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Psi1 Piscium

(Variable Double Star in Pisces)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:23:49 PM

Comment: 29.6"

Equal pair of 5.6 magnitude blue stars, although they are an optical pair lying at 220 and 240 light years away

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

65 Piscium

(Double Star in Pisces)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:26:02 PM

Comment: 4.2"

Nearly equal pair of pure white blue-white stars, magnitudes 5.5 and 6.7

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Mirach - Beta And

(Variable Double Star in Andromeda)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:28:21 PM

Comment: Bright deep orange star. Unfortunately it was partially obstructed by a tree so I could not look for the illusive galaxy Mirach's Ghost.

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

65 Piscium

(Double Star in Pisces)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:34:22 PM

Comment: 4.2"

Lovely pair of nearly equal 5.5 & 6.2 magnitude blue stars

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Saturn Nebula - NGC 7009

(Planetary Nebula in Aquarius)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:50:39 PM

Comment: Looks great with the Tele Vue 8mm Radian eyepiece. I could see the dark center and outer shell but no central star. No doubt due to the full moon tonight

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

IU Aquarii

(Variable Star in Aquarius)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:53:51 PM

Comment: Deep orange red giant 1.25° NW of the Saturn Nebula. 1500 times more luminous than our sun.

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Homam - Zeta Peg

(Double Star in Pegasus)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:10:00 PM

Comment: A young blue star 4.5 times the size of our sun

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

55 Pegasi

(Variable Star in Pegasus)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:11:26 PM

Comment:  A 4.5 magnitude red giant star 440 light years away and 330 times more luminous than the sun

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

57 Pegasi

(Variable Double Star in Pegasus)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:13:17 PM

Comment: Colorful pair of stars. The primary is a red giant and the secondary is a 10.5 magnitude indigo star. The primary is 3500 times more luminous than our sun

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

V346 Pegasi

(Variable Star in Pegasus)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:15:25 PM

Comment: Deep red 7th magnitude long period variable star lying 1000 light years away!

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

HD 220512

(Double Star in Pisces)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:18:00 PM

Comment: ! Absolutely beautiful colorful pair. The primary is deep orange and the secondary is light blue.

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Andromeda Galaxy - M 31

(Spiral Galaxy in Andromeda)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:23:49 PM

Comment: A night of the near full moon is hardly a time to look at The Andromeda Galaxy but at least the condensed core is bright. I also saw M 32 and NGC 205, or M110. Some claim Messier never saw or cataloged it. Harvard professor Owen Gingrich is credited to naming it M110.

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 75° H 76%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9

Pinwheel Galaxy - M 33

(Spiral Galaxy in Triangulum)

Observed: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:33:37 PM

Comment: Challenging to see on a full moon night. I was able to see a haze as I rocked the scope back and forth using the Meade 2", 28mm UWA eyepiece.

Location: Virginia Beach Moon 95% 67° H 92%

Equipment: 25" F/5, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 9