Re: The sky for the last two nights

George Reynolds

Ian,

I'm glad to see another person observing the Moon.  I just earned the Lunar II Award of the Astronomical League.  I enjoy observing the Moon and learning its craters, mountains, and other features.  With my old, bad eyes, it is refreshing to be able to SEE something in the night sky.  When I'm out with my granddaughter Chloe, she says, "See that star?" and I say, "What star?"

On Monday, September 13, 2021, 10:05:12 PM EDT, Ian Stewart <ian@...> wrote:

Yep seeing a little iffy tonight. I got 21.58 on the sky meter. Moon was a little reddish. Good views along the terminator though. Alpine valley was great and a stellar view of Aristillus. Jupiter was ok Saturn seemed better. Cassini was no problem, no Encke though. Out viewing in September in t shirt and shorts.
Cheers
Ian

On Sep 13, 2021, at 8:43 PM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

We are once again suffering from the effects of the fires out west. Last night the moon had yellow orange cast as did Jupiter. Both are silvery bright under normal skies. I noticed that during the day the skies had an opaque look that went beyond the humid haze of a summer day. The satellite photo even showed a blanket of hazy air over the mid Atlantic coming from the south west and reaching offshore for some distance. This was a high level layer of ash and dust being transported across the country by high altitude winds.

Tonight I am observing the two planets and seeing is fairly good but the transparency of the sky looks bad. I really can't tell from where I am as the sky is so bad as to almost make it impossible to say if there is a cloud layer unless it is very thick. or the clouds are random discrete cumulus clouds. Jupiter does not look quite as yellow as last night but is not the right color tonight. Bands and the great red spot are not so great this year. The red spot is fairly pale this go around.  A couple of weeks ago we did have a few good nights that showed very fine detail and vortexes on the surface of Jupiter but tonight there is not much to see.