Re: Observing Jupiter & Saturn

charles jagow

The seeing here was poor could barely see cloud bands on Jupiter, the Cassini division was on vacation…

Early Wednesday morning, checking out Orion in my 20” and the seeing was worse than the previous evening.  It sure looked nice and sparkly in the 38 degree morning temps here on my driveway.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Despite hazy skies Tuesday night the seeing was incredible. Saturn and Jupiter looked better than I have ever seen them in the 25”. Saturn was 3-D like at 250x. Color filters often help to see details in Jupiter’s belts. I often use a green filter such as a Wratten 56 or 58. Just by chance I tried a Lumicon Comet filter. You won’t believe how much intricate belt detail is visible with that filter. If you have such a filter look at Jupiter the next time you’re observing.