City observing with a 25"

Kent Blackwell

I really miss observing in dark Coinjock skies with the 25" telescope but I'm having fun observing in light polluted skies as well, and it's so convenient having the telescope in my own backyard. Not only do the planets look amazing (when seeing allows) but so do planetary nebulae. Last night NGC 7009, The Saturn Nebula looked amazing using a 3.5mm Pentax eyepiece that yielded a whopping 907x. Also interesting was NGC 6818, The Little Gem in Sagittarius at high power. Shifting back to only 200x NGC 6537 "The Red Spider" was interesting, hardly resembling a spider though. The real jewel of the night was M 17, The Omega Nebula, especially when using a nebula fitter such as the OII or the Orion UltraBlock at 200x. Oh yes, and the Great Red Spot was dead center on Jupiter's meridian. Seeing wasn't what it was before remnants of Hurricane Ida slipped north and west of us but it was still quite impressive. My last object of the night was Neptune. Even in the 25" at 200x Neptune is still small, but the orb is a beautiful color green.

Kent B