Re: Virginia to Colorado

charles jagow

I am so glad this venue is back on track!  It was by far my most favorite event we did.  At first when Chuck brought the idea to us, I was AGAINST it, I didn’t want sand getting into the fine little parts of my precious telescopes.  But after the very first one, I was IN with all feet and other appendages.  Its just too bad that Jup and Sat will not be making appearances this summer.  I have been watching those two quite intently.

One visual distraction out here is the occasional smoke in the valley from wildfires burning hundreds of miles away in other states makes for some poor seeing conditions.  Like the other morning, the CSC was as blue as it could be, but when I rolled the 12” out to view Saturn, I could barely make out the Cassini division.

But when the smoke is absent, the views are unbelievable.

I probably won’t get the observatory built this year, but I am working toward a garage/utility building on a nice slab up on the mountain where I can keep some of my equipment like the 18” up there at the ready.  The darkness up there is such that you HAVE to have your red light dangling from your neck so you don’t break your neck tripping on stuff.

The Star Pod is no more.  It broke down on us on the way through Kentucky, something about not keeping wheels on when What’s Her Name is pulling it…  We left it in Mount Sterling, somebody saw it sitting on the guys trailer lot awaiting parts and wanted to buy it.  So now I need a new Star Pod.  Maybe something just a touch bigger so Karen (see, I do remember her name now and then) will accompany me.

Miss you guys and gals!

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 at 7:14 AM
To: "BackBayAstro@groups.io" <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] Virginia to Colorado

Chuck,

We had our first Boardwalk Astronomy event last night for the first time in two years, and you were missed!  We had a good turnout, with 10 telescopes and a rough count of 345 visitors.  (Samantha says it was over 400.)

Leigh Anne Lagoe was there, as were Kent Blackwell, Bob Hitt, Dale Carey, Shawn Loescher, Chuck Dibbs, Bob Beuerlein, and my two granddaughters Samantha and Chloe, and me.  This was Chloe's first BWA, and she loved it!  She was eagerly showing views of Albireo, Mizar/Alcor, and the Moon to passersby.  Samantha kept her 8-inch Dob on the Moon all night for some awesome views of the waxing crescent.

Before sunset, we showed the Sun, with one good sunspot, and a big prominence, visible in Dale's Coronado solar scope.  I had my ShortTube 80 and the Sun funnel on for a while, but then people started asking about the ships out on the horizon, so from then on, until dusk, I focused on multiple ships and buoys.  I discovered that there are two wind turbines way out on the eastern horizon.  I never had seen them before.

Samantha graduates from Princess Anne High School tomorrow.  She wanted your mailing address to send you an announcement.

God bless you in your new home under the stars.  I hope all is well with Karen and your family.  I hope you don't have to make too many trips back here, although we'd love to see you.  (You wouldn't even have to bring a scope. I have a six-inch Starblast you could use if you come!)

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 07:13:51 PM EDT, charles jagow <chuck@...> wrote:

Let your conscience be your guide, just remember I “may” have your SSN…

I shouldn’t have replied all eh?

However hayseed minded I am, I can see the milky way from my driveway with my porch light on and the corner street light as well.  For the first time ever I can SEE all of the stars in the little dipper…   And I think if the cataract wasn’t growing I might be able to see the mizar double.

Since Karen had to go back to VA to take care of the Dork (AKA Cheryl) I am so tired by nightfall trying to get things unpacked and put away each day that I just fall asleep before dark and usually don’t wake until sunup.  Not like those Virginia nights.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM
To: "BackBayAstro@groups.io" <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

Oh awesome opportunity :-), never let a chance to fill up junk mail addresses with somebody else's address :-)

Jim

Treasurer - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Rott'n Paws Observatory

    N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512