Re: Warp Drive Advances

Richard Saunders

Interesting, thanks for passing Roy.  Great stuff to think about.  I certainly believe achieving light speed or thereabouts is possible.  The problem I see, however, even at the relatively low speed of orbital velocity, i.e., ~17,000 mph, is that sooner or later a small piece of space dust, rocks, debris or whatever, will strike the spacecraft and either seriously damage or destroy it.  It doesn't have to be big to transfer destructive energy to the craft as per Einstein's E=MC².  We don't have material that could stand the impact and likely never will.  To survive space travel at high speeds a spacecraft would have to have some type of force field and that's something I think is not likely to be developed.
Regards,
Scott