Re: Object in southern sky

jimcoble2000

That was so weird. I frankly don't know if a stationary satellite could do that. Seems it would do it every night in that case but a friend just sent the picture of the weather balloon and that was definitely what we saw in the binoculars. I have just finished a two night run in astounding dark conditions with little sleep so I may be a bit groggy. But what observing! Just amazing skies. 12th magnitude galaxies in a 4 inch easy. If you are ever offered a choice of "you can only have one; what do you want, dark sky or big scope"? Take the sky every time.

On Sunday, May 16, 2021, 1:10:15 PM EDT, Matthew Cook via groups.io <lt_mrcook@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark!  That was my fall back guess, but I didn’t think you could get visuals of the geosynchronous satellites due to altitude and angle of incidence of the suns rays.  Pretty cool to know that’s not the case.  Though based on your 50+ year, single observance timeline I hope I get to see another one.

On May 16, 2021, at 12:27, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Or was the two ISS passes Friday night? I am burned out....................

On Sunday, May 16, 2021, 11:43:27 AM EDT, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

That was an amazing observation last night (I assume you are speaking of that). I have never seen anything liike it in 50 years+ of observing. I thought for a moment it was Venus but could not figure out for the life of me how it got there or why I had not seen it the night before. Then it turned a dull red in the twilight and then disappeared in the space of a minute. I understand it was a geosynchronous satellite that just caught the right reflection.

I can see where a lot of Alien spacecraft reports come from. I can't speak to abduction as I am too poor a specimen to collect being somewhat weak of mind. Remarkable sighting. The previous night we watched TWO, count em TWO space stations orbiting very close. The ISS was in back of the Chinese station on the exact trajectory. That one had me stumped also.

Maybe they were looking for gas, or take out, or each other, or racing.................................
On Saturday, May 15, 2021, 8:10:35 PM EDT, Matthew Cook via groups.io <lt_mrcook@...> wrote:

Anyone know what the bright white object is almost due south?