Re: REGIONAL ASTRONOMY EVENTS IN 2021

Stu Beaber

Thanks Ian...yep, that was it ...MAPS near Robbins when I attended. It's slowly coming back to me now...still can't figure how I made a week on a deep cycle battery!

Stu

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 8:43 AM Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Hey Stu, you may be talking about the Mid Atlantic Star Party (MASP). It was held at the boy scout camp near Carthage and then moved to another site nearby  in Robbins. It was a well attended star party. Can't exactly remember why it shut down. I think maybe the original organizer passed away.

Cheers

Ian

On 4/2/2021 8:10 AM, Stu Beaber wrote:
Hey there...I'am late to the thread but have a question...

Does anyone here remember the star party that used to take place somewhere west of Fayetteville, NC. It was several years ago (maybe 10-12) and I only attended once as I think it was their last year before the supporting club folded. This was very early in my "astronomy years" and I'm trying to figure out how I managed a whole week on battery power running a computer, cameras, goto mount, etc. I don't think I had a generator at the time and I don't remember power on the field. I do remember that they had a few portable hot showers set up on the field and the SP lasted all week...

Any help here? some of you 'carolina guys might remember...

Stu

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 11:37 PM vp <vp@...> wrote:
The BBAA does not have the problem of the Delmarva club, thankfully.  Although we have a few of us in our 70s, and some in their 60s, we are blessed with a lot of members in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, and a few teenagers as well.  Those teens will grow up and go off to college, but if they come back to this area they can once again rejoin the club.  If they move away, I hope they will find a local astronomy club near their new location, and get involved.

Our outreach events and efforts inspire a lot of kids and their parents to consider amateur astronomy.

I am proud of my granddaughters Samantha (age 18, senior in high school), and Chloe (age 13, in middle school), who are associate members of the BBAA.

Another granddaughter, Elena, who lives in Goochland, is also interested in astronomy.  Her family is coming down for spring break, and she wants to come to Nightwatch with me.  :-)

George
On March 28, 2021 8:49 PM vp <vp@...> wrote:

 What happened to the DelMarva Stargazers club?  Why is it gone?

George
On March 24, 2021 8:28 PM Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Unfortunately the last event on the list, the Delmarva star party, is gone.  And unless there has been an unheralded resurrection, the Delmarva Stargazers club is gone too.  That’s a shame – we had many great times and good observing for many years at their star parties held at Tuckahoe State Park on the Eastern Shore.

Roy

On Mar 24, 2021, at 7:36 AM, Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:

Greetings MERAL officers, presidents and AlCors,

Please share this email with your club members:

As the pandemic slowly comes under control, we are hoping to be able to hold in-person events later this year. So now is the time to make travel plans!

To that end, below is a list I have accumulated, with input from MERAL clubs, that lists all the large regional events I am aware of in MERAL territory (mostly). A couple of these are not in the MERAL territory, but they are so well known that I thought they should be included.

Not all the events have been confirmed at this point, so I have included links to the websites for all the events if they are available. The events are in chronological order, with the events that have not determined a date at the bottom of the list.

Clear skies,

Don Knabb, MERAL Chair

Northeast Astronomy Forum, April 10 – 11, Rockland Community College, NY (Not in MERAL). Virtual event - https://www.neafexpo.com/

Astronomy Day, May 15, Northern Virginia Astronomy Club - C.M. Crockett Park, Midland, VA.  This event might need to be virtual this year due to health concerns, that is yet to be determined. https://www.novac.com/wp/outreach/astronomyday/

Cherry Springs Star Party, June 10-13. https://www.facebook.com/CherrySpringsStarParty/

Green Bank Star Quest, July 7-10 Green Bank WV. Final decision yet to be made. http://www.greenbankstarquest.org/

Stellafane, August 5-8 (Not in MERAL), Springfield, Vermont. Website indicates the event is a go. https://stellafane.org/

Almost Heaven Star Party at Spruce Knob Mountain Center in Circleville, WV over Labor Day weekend, 3 -7 Sep, 2021.  https://www.ahsp.org/

York County Star Party Sept 8-12 and Oct 6-11. http://www.skyshedpodpa.com/york-county-star-party.html

Blackwater Falls Astronomy Weekend, September 9 – 11, Blackwater Falls State Park, WV. http://kvas.org/events.html

Staunton River Star Party (Fall), October 4 - 10, 2021, Staunton River State Park, Virginia http://chaosastro.org/starparty/

Northern Virginia Astronomy, Star Gaze, 10/9 Typically hosted at C.M. Crockett Park, Midland, VA. https://www.novac.com/wp/outreach/stargaze/

South Jersey Astronomy Club Star Party. No fall star party date is currently listed. http://www.sjac.us/star-party/

Mega Meet, Pulpit Rock, PA. No date is currently listed. https://lvaas.org/page.php?page=megameet

Black Forest Star Party, the date is to be determined. https://bfsp.org/

Delmarva Star Watch, Trap Pond DE. No information available, no website.

George Reynolds
VP, Back Bay Amateur Astronomers
BBAA
Outreach Coordinator