Re: I finally got it!

George Reynolds

Oh, by the way, Chuck,  three times I tripped on the splayed legs of the table the 6i sits on.  But rather than "curse the darkness", I decided to be more alert and watch where I step!  Emoji

Each time I think it messed up the computer object locator's idea of its position, so three times I had to set the scope back to vertical and re-align the computer object locator with a 2-star alignment.  It worked well.  And I am getting used to the red dot finder.  It's a bit hard to adjust the altitude and azimuth of the finder (without moving the whole telescope by accident), but I got it.

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 12:39:11 PM EDT, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

THANK YOU, Chuck, for the 6i.  I still haven't decided its ultimate destination, but I am using it when I can.

And thank you for the Sun Funnel, which I "borrowed" from you many, many years ago (with no intention to return).  Emoji

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 08:31:25 AM EDT, charles jagow <chuck@...> wrote:

WOOO HOOOO George,

One correction, it is George’s 6i.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027@...>
Date: Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] I finally got it!

I finally got the 100th object and the last one I was missing for the Astronomical League's Urban Program, NGC3242, The Ghost of Jupiter!  I got in the ballpark with Chuck Jagow's Orion Starblast 6i, but could not see it.  I got out my trusty Orion UltraView 8x42 binoculars, and star-hopped from Alphard (Alpha Hydrae) down to nu1, then up to nu2 and lambda, then down to mu Hya.  I had sort of memorized the star patterns south of mu, so I star-hopped through them, and -- Voila!  There was NGC3242!  At 120X and at 240X it was a fuzzy blob, but it was there.  And it didn't look at all like Jupiter (maybe a ghost of ... something).

If I had found all the objects in the Urban List back in 2003 or 2004 when I got 90% of the objects, I would be done now, but the A.L. had ADDED one new requirement.  I have to observe Algol (again), and this time I have to watch it over a period of time and estimate its brightness and sketch it.

That's a project for another night.