Re: I finally got it!

Secretary

Make sure you use the moon filter! I was looking at the moon last night through my binoculars and I am still seeing spots... LoL

Jeff

On March 30, 2021 9:33 AM George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I must clarify how I finally got to NGC 3242. It was a combination of the Starblast 6i to get me in the right area, the binoculars to star-hop to its vicinity, but I finally SAW it in Samantha's 8-inch Dob (which lives at my house). I found Mu Hya in the 30mm eyepiece (40X), stepped up to the 25mm ep (48X), then the 10mm (120X -- which is where I first saw the fuzzy blob that was "The Eye Nebula", a.k.a., "The Ghost of Jupiter"), and finally I tried my seldom-used 5.2mm Lanthanum eyepiece (231X) and magnified the fuzzy blob. I could tell it was not a star out of focus, because I could see a small, dim star nearby, in focus.

I was aided by the fact that the waning gibbous Moon did not rise until about 20:41, and although I was observing after 22:00, the Moon was blocked by my house. After finding my target, the Moon appeared, and I looked at it in the 8-inch Dob, without a Moon filter (Boy, was it bright!), with all 4 eyepieces. With the 5.2, I felt like an astronaut in orbit above the surface of the Moon. Now I am inspired to try to do the "Lunar II" program of the Astronomical League.

http://www.backbayastro.org (http://www.backbayastro.org/)
http://www.geocities.com/pathfinder027/spacex.html

http://groups.hamptonroads.com/BBAA/

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 08:31:25 AM EDT, charles jagow <chuck@jagowds.com> wrote:

WOOO HOOOO George,
One correction, it is George’s 6i.
Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (http://www.backbayastro.org/)
Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley (https://www.darkskiescolorado.org/)
Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association (https://csastro.org/)
Rott'n Paws Observatory (http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap_obs_1.shtml)Moving ToVerde Mont Observatory (http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/sangre.shtml)
From:<BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "George Reynolds via groups.io" <pathfinder027=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date:Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM
To:BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject:[BackBayAstro] I finally got it!
I finally got the 100th object and the last one I was missing for the Astronomical League's Urban Program, NGC3242, The Ghost of Jupiter! I got in the ballpark with Chuck Jagow's Orion Starblast 6i, but could not see it. I got out my trusty Orion UltraView 8x42 binoculars, and star-hopped from Alphard (Alpha Hydrae) down to nu1, then up to nu2 and lambda, then down to mu Hya. I had sort of memorized the star patterns south of mu, so I star-hopped through them, and -- Voila! There was NGC3242! At 120X and at 240X it was a fuzzy blob, but it was there. And it didn't look at all like Jupiter (maybe a ghost of ... something).
If I had found all the objects in the Urban List back in 2003 or 2004 when I got 90% of the objects, I would be done now, but the A.L. had ADDED one new requirement. I have to observe Algol (again), and this time I have to watch it over a period of time and estimate its brightness and sketch it.
That's a project for another night.
http://www.backbayastro.org (http://www.backbayastro.org/)

Treasurer - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (http://www.backbayastro.org/)
Rott'n Paws Observatory (http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap.htm)