Re: I finally got it!

Ian Stewart

Excellent job George!

On 3/29/2021 11:18 PM, George Reynolds via groups.io wrote:
I finally got the 100th object and the last one I was missing for the Astronomical League's Urban Program, NGC3242, The Ghost of Jupiter!  I got in the ballpark with Chuck Jagow's Orion Starblast 6i, but could not see it.  I got out my trusty Orion UltraView 8x42 binoculars, and star-hopped from Alphard (Alpha Hydrae) down to nu1, then up to nu2 and lambda, then down to mu Hya.  I had sort of memorized the star patterns south of mu, so I star-hopped through them, and -- Voila!  There was NGC3242!  At 120X and at 240X it was a fuzzy blob, but it was there.  And it didn't look at all like Jupiter (maybe a ghost of ... something).

If I had found all the objects in the Urban List back in 2003 or 2004 when I got 90% of the objects, I would be done now, but the A.L. had ADDED one new requirement.  I have to observe Algol (again), and this time I have to watch it over a period of time and estimate its brightness and sketch it.

That's a project for another night.