Re: REGIONAL ASTRONOMY EVENTS IN 2021

Roy Diffrient

I had almost forgotten about the belly dancers.

Chuck, to say you’ll be missed would be a vast understatement.  Thanks for everything over the years.  Please stay in touch.  Hope all the snow out there melts before your star parties.

Roy

On Mar 25, 2021, at 10:00 AM, charles jagow <chuck@...> wrote:

My first venture to Tuckahoe involved a cloudy night where we all gathered in a tent and watched marathon episodes of Sky at Night hosted by Sir Patrick Moore while eating way over-boiled hotdogs on stale buns with who knows how long it had been simmering chili as well as hot chocolate by the quart.  I was hooked, Tuckahoe became another favorite star party.  ECSP, StarQuest @ Green Bank and Tuckahoe.  Heck we even had official belly dancers at one of the Tuckahoe shindigs.

At the last Tuckahoe event I attended with Kent, Ted, Roy and Doc B, Kent taught me how to take phenomenal pictures of lightning, one of the best damp nights I have had.  Even had the DSLR encased in a gallon Ziplock bag duct taped closed at the bottom around the tripod.

Now I will get to look forward to my next star parties including the Rocky Mountain Star Stare in Gardner CO this summer and the Okie-Tex star party this fall and hopefully some others.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Roy Diffrient <mail@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 10:09 PM
To: "BackBayAstro@groups.io" <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] REGIONAL ASTRONOMY EVENTS IN 2021

I guess I’ll have to explain.  I hope Kent chimes in here to defend himself.  And I will say on his behalf that he has greatly reformed in years since.  And this is from memory so others may remember it differently.

Long ago at Delmarva star parties the organizers provided all-night “Stargazer coffee” along with hot dogs at minimal cost.  The hot dogs, origin unknown but suspicious, were, basically, boiled in a pot, and whoever wanted one would fish it out, put it on a bun, etc.  And this went on through the night.  So hot dogs at midnight became sort of a ritual - at least for some.  And Kent loved hot dogs back then.

Then, Saturday night one year, the hot dog supply ran out, and finally there was just one left in the pot.  But it had been boiled so much that it had disintegrated.  Then the pot was unplugged.  I won’t say that hot dog had decomposed, since hot dogs may have enough preservatives in them to embalm the consumers, but it certainly did look nasty, with the many pieces of pinkish dog, no longer very hot, floating in the greasy water.  It was disgusting.

So Kent lifts the lid on the pot, looks in, and says “ Oh, one left – yum!”

We all laughed like lunatics.

All in good fun of course.  And a treasured star party memory.

Roy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10