Re: REGIONAL ASTRONOMY EVENTS IN 2021

Roy Diffrient

Oh yeah, I remember Cajun Burgers at midnight!  Crazy! The Mason Dixon SP is gone too, but YCSP is getting started to take its place.

Roy

On Mar 25, 2021, at 12:10 AM, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

I remember it well.  Sorry to hear the Stargazers and the Stargaze have gone the way of all flesh.

Now, who remembers the midnight Cajun Burgers at Mason Dixon?  Only REAL astronomers can stomach them (right Kent?)

Ted

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roy Diffrient
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 7:10 PM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] REGIONAL ASTRONOMY EVENTS IN 2021

I guess I’ll have to explain.  I hope Kent chimes in here to defend himself.  And I will say on his behalf that he has greatly reformed in years since.  And this is from memory so others may remember it differently.

Long ago at Delmarva star parties the organizers provided all-night “Stargazer coffee” along with hot dogs at minimal cost.  The hot dogs, origin unknown but suspicious, were, basically, boiled in a pot, and whoever wanted one would fish it out, put it on a bun, etc.  And this went on through the night.  So hot dogs at midnight became sort of a ritual - at least for some.  And Kent loved hot dogs back then.

Then, Saturday night one year, the hot dog supply ran out, and finally there was just one left in the pot.  But it had been boiled so much that it had disintegrated.  Then the pot was unplugged.  I won’t say that hot dog had decomposed, since hot dogs may have enough preservatives in them to embalm the consumers, but it certainly did look nasty, with the many pieces of pinkish dog, no longer very hot, floating in the greasy water.  It was disgusting.

So Kent lifts the lid on the pot, looks in, and says “ Oh, one left – yum!”

We all laughed like lunatics.

All in good fun of course.  And a treasured star party memory.

Roy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10