Re: REGIONAL ASTRONOMY EVENTS IN 2021

jimcoble2000

you won't live long on the hot dogs!

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 8:47:13 PM EDT, Ian Stewart <ian@...> wrote:

Long live the hot dogs.

On Mar 24, 2021, at 8:28 PM, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Unfortunately the last event on the list, the Delmarva star party, is gone.  And unless there has been an unheralded resurrection, the Delmarva Stargazers club is gone too.  That’s a shame – we had many great times and good observing for many years at their star parties held at Tuckahoe State Park on the Eastern Shore.

Roy

On Mar 24, 2021, at 7:36 AM, Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:

Greetings MERAL officers, presidents and AlCors,

Please share this email with your club members:

As the pandemic slowly comes under control, we are hoping to be able to hold in-person events later this year. So now is the time to make travel plans!

To that end, below is a list I have accumulated, with input from MERAL clubs, that lists all the large regional events I am aware of in MERAL territory (mostly). A couple of these are not in the MERAL territory, but they are so well known that I thought they should be included.

Not all the events have been confirmed at this point, so I have included links to the websites for all the events if they are available. The events are in chronological order, with the events that have not determined a date at the bottom of the list.

Clear skies,

Don Knabb, MERAL Chair

Northeast Astronomy Forum, April 10 – 11, Rockland Community College, NY (Not in MERAL). Virtual event - https://www.neafexpo.com/

Astronomy Day, May 15, Northern Virginia Astronomy Club - C.M. Crockett Park, Midland, VA.  This event might need to be virtual this year due to health concerns, that is yet to be determined. https://www.novac.com/wp/outreach/astronomyday/

Cherry Springs Star Party, June 10-13. https://www.facebook.com/CherrySpringsStarParty/

Green Bank Star Quest, July 7-10 Green Bank WV. Final decision yet to be made. http://www.greenbankstarquest.org/

Stellafane, August 5-8 (Not in MERAL), Springfield, Vermont. Website indicates the event is a go. https://stellafane.org/

Almost Heaven Star Party at Spruce Knob Mountain Center in Circleville, WV over Labor Day weekend, 3 -7 Sep, 2021.  https://www.ahsp.org/

York County Star Party Sept 8-12 and Oct 6-11. http://www.skyshedpodpa.com/york-county-star-party.html

Blackwater Falls Astronomy Weekend, September 9 – 11, Blackwater Falls State Park, WV. http://kvas.org/events.html

Staunton River Star Party (Fall), October 4 - 10, 2021, Staunton River State Park, Virginia http://chaosastro.org/starparty/

Northern Virginia Astronomy, Star Gaze, 10/9 Typically hosted at C.M. Crockett Park, Midland, VA. https://www.novac.com/wp/outreach/stargaze/

South Jersey Astronomy Club Star Party. No fall star party date is currently listed. http://www.sjac.us/star-party/

Mega Meet, Pulpit Rock, PA. No date is currently listed. https://lvaas.org/page.php?page=megameet

Black Forest Star Party, the date is to be determined. https://bfsp.org/

Delmarva Star Watch, Trap Pond DE. No information available, no website.