Re: REGIONAL ASTRONOMY EVENTS IN 2021

jimcoble2000

I think you would be hard pressed to find darker skies than West Virginia, I could not see my car from 10 feet away. I guess the ocean would beat that (it does) but you have to enlist for 4 years and the accommodations are worse than Federal Prison. Chiefland is about a 13 hour haul from here if I recall. I lived south of there and it is one long BORING drive. I have heard good things about Staunton River but if the weather is bad I have heard it described as being like a civil way reenactment of Andersonville.

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 7:07:11 PM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Still going, not sure what's happening this year.

On 3/24/2021 5:58 PM, vp wrote:
Ian,
is there still a Chiefland Star Party?  I went to one many years ago (2002) and enjoyed it very much.  As you say, it is a long haul from Virginia.

George
On March 24, 2021 5:33 PM Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Just to jump in here. I've been to Greenbank - great interactive program, Spruce Knob (Almost Heaven) - excellent skies when the weather cooperates but big storms when it doesn't. Staunton River - my favorite  - poorer skies than Spruce Knob but better weather and facilities. Coinjock, just miss the camaraderie there, Kent put on an excellent program. A bit of a drive but Chiefland in Florida has great facilities and some very stable skies.

Cheers

Ian