Re: REGIONAL ASTRONOMY EVENTS IN 2021

vp

Ian,
is there still a Chiefland Star Party?  I went to one many years ago (2002) and enjoyed it very much.  As you say, it is a long haul from Virginia.

George
On March 24, 2021 5:33 PM Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Just to jump in here. I've been to Greenbank - great interactive program, Spruce Knob (Almost Heaven) - excellent skies when the weather cooperates but big storms when it doesn't. Staunton River - my favorite  - poorer skies than Spruce Knob but better weather and facilities. Coinjock, just miss the camaraderie there, Kent put on an excellent program. A bit of a drive but Chiefland in Florida has great facilities and some very stable skies.

Cheers

Ian

On 3/24/2021 4:07 PM, Matthew Cook via groups.io wrote:
Never been to the star party but Spruce Knob is one of two “close” dark sky sites where we love to camp.  The other is Ocracoke.  Might have to keep an eye on that Almost Heaven event.

Ocracoke Island National Park campground

On Mar 24, 2021, at 13:20, vp <vp@...> wrote:

Jonathan,

I too am interested in attending one or more of those events.  I have never been to Green Bank or Staunton River or any of the other ones listed.  I hope they take place this year.  The ones I am interested in are Cherry Springs, Green Bank, Almost Heaven (WV),  Staunton River, and Northern Virginia.  According to their website, Greenbank is open for pre-registration.

Here is an update on each one, as I have been able to determine thus far:

Update as of Feb 18, 2021):·
Update on the 2021 Cherry Springs Star Party:
Even on a snowy day like today it’s starting to be time to look ahead to the warmer weather of June and the 2021 Cherry Springs Star Party. While we are hoping to be able to hold a Star Party this year - we really missed everyone last year - only time will tell if we will be able to do so or not. At the current time there are no large public events allowed to be held in PA State Parks account the ongoing pandemic, so if that regulation is not relaxed we will not able to hold a party again this year. If it is relaxed, then we may be able to hold the Star Party, however it may not be our usual “full” party as there may have to be some changes to activities, rules and to the size of the party to accommodate restrictions for the health of everyone. If we are able to go ahead with an event, we will hope to open registration up for it in late March or early April. We will post updates to both this Facebook page and the Cherry Springs Star Party website as we have more information.
Clear skies to all!

Green Bank Star Quest, July 7-10 Green Bank WV. Final decision yet to be made. http://www.greenbankstarquest.org/
Green Bank Star Quest XVII Scheduled for July 7-10, 2021.
Green Bank Star Quest Is A Premier Star Party
This event is held at the Green Bank Observatory, Green Bank WV. We feature a distinguished keynote speaker EVERY evening, with presentations on the latest in astronomy. Clinics and additional presentations held throughout each day (indoors) on multiple subjects, including astrophotography. Solar and night-time observing with our amazing dark skies right from your campsite. Campground has graveled roads, sanitary stations and HOT showers nearby. We feature: a Large Raffle Drawing; Children's Activities and raffle; Cafeteria and Snack Bar on site. As a added bonus, you can learn about radio astronomy from the GBO staff. There are many West Virginia scenic attractions nearby. We do our best to bring you a fun, informative and safe event.
Pre-Register Now!
PayPal or Mail Forms
Registration: The four-day registration fee is just $100.
Limited bunkhouse accommodations for additional fee. Optional Breakfast and Supper buffet available for purchase from GBO and served in their cafeteria. Meals are also available in the Starlight Cafe which will be open extended hours for our event.
If you have any questions please call 304-265-5514

Almost Heaven Star Party at Spruce Knob Mountain Center in Circleville, WV over Labor Day weekend, 3 -7 Sep, 2021. https://www.ahsp.org/
AHSP 2021 Status:
As the AHSP Staff would have started prepping for AHSP 2021 around now I wanted to post that we have decided at this time to wait until May to start the evaluation of where we are with COVID-19 to determine whether we can host the event this year.

Staunton River Star Party (Fall), October 4 - 10, 2021, Staunton River State Park, Virginia http://chaosastro.org/starparty/
(To be determined)

Northern Virginia Astronomy, Star Gaze, 10/9 Typically hosted at C.M. Crockett Park, Midland, VA. https://www.novac.com/wp/outreach/stargaze/
(No update as of 3/22/2021)
On March 24, 2021 12:38 PM Jonathan Scheetz <jonathan@...> wrote:

Thanks Jim.  The Staunton event is located pretty close by and is not until October; I've heard good things about this event from some of the group members.
I'm hopeful that this one will happen and I'm going to think about attending it.  But, like you said everything is probably iffy for this year.
When the time gets closer I'll put out some feelers to see who else might be going.

One of the other ones I was interested in was the Green Bank event about which I've heard good things from the group.  But it is in July and I doubt that will come off.

The last one I was considering was the Spruce Knob WV event in September.
The skies there are rated to be very dark.   https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=10.00&lat=38.7076&lon=-79.5878&layers=B0FFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFF
I haven't heard anything about this from any of the group members.  Does anyone have opinion on whether or not this is a good event?

Jonathan

George Reynolds
VP, Back Bay Amateur Astronomers
BBAA